Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Howie628 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Insulation between floors?
    I am finishing out a basement. The floor of the upstairs is insulated with R-11. I have lowered the ceiling downstairs to 9 feet in most of the area and to 8 feet in the area below the upstairs plumbing(to allow a crawl space to access the plumbing) The space between the floors will then be 2 feet and three feet respectively. I have studded the ceiling out and am putting up 3/8" sheetrock. Is it necessary to put insulation in the ceiling of the downstairs since the floor of the upstairs is insulated? Thanks for your help.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

Welcome Howie

Usually don't insulate between heated areas. If using for sound proofing, use unfoiled insulation.

Would also think about using 1/2'' s/r. 3/8'' s/r is usually used as a backer for paneling.

Over time the 3/8 s/r may become wavy between studding.

Chuck

Feb 23, 2010, 04:15 PM

Thank you Chuck. I will increase the 3/8 to 1/2 per your advisement. With the insulation already in the floor of the area above and using 1/2" sheet rock on the ceiling, would you think that would be decent sound proofing between the two floors? Also... I have insulated between the studs in the exterior walls using R-13 with vapor barrier. Should the walls in the space between the two floors be insulated. Right now it is bare cinderblock. Thanks again.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2010, 09:24 PM

All outside walls should be insulated. This will help with heating and inhibit moisture transfer. If u leave these spaces without insulation, u could get condensation.

Chuck
    leifweaver Posts: 39, Reputation: 11

Feb 23, 2010, 10:59 PM

I can not tell from your post, but the basement floor ought to be insulated if you can, otherwise, you will loose a surprising amount of heat through the floor and you can have condensation form between the slab and any floor finish that you are putting down.

Feb 24, 2010, 04:34 AM

Planning on putting down floating floor with the foam underlayment.Will this qualify as inulating or should I put something down prior to that?

Mar 9, 2010, 11:50 AM

Hey Chuck or Leif,

If I put pink foambaord insulation on the outside walls between the two floors, does it also have to be covered with a vapor barrier or some other material? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 07:48 PM

All outside wall insulation needs a vapor barrier on the warm side, even foam. I'd go so far as to lay foam board down on the floor, tape it and then install your floating floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add insulation to existing catherdral ceiling with no insulation now [ 1 Answers ]

We are removing to popcorn from to ceiling and found that no insulation was ever add. We have two skylights windows and recest lighting also in this ceiling. We stopped everything until we can find out which way to go. What is the best wayto to this. What other information do you need from me....

Insulation between two heated floors [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing a semi-heated basement... would like to insulate or dampen sound from and to upstairs help sugestions please

New insulation over old atic insulation [ 1 Answers ]

Presently there are three layers of aluminum with air spaces. Can I put bats directly over this insulation and what do I have to be concerned about.

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search