Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gullaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Dealing with stubborn toddlers
    My daughter is three years four months and has just started pre school.She gets frustrated really quickly and doesn't want to study.She can spend hours scribling by her self and looking and story books but when I try to get her to write her alphabets she gets frustrated and throws away her pencils and just starts scribling again.Her teachers also complain of the same thing.I know she is really smart as she recognizes the alphabets A to M which I have taught her but refuses to write.
    Please help me with some creative ideas to teach her at home.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 05:32 AM
    Three years old is a little young to be forced into a school-like routine. Three year olds should be having fun and learning by experimenting.
    johnpillai Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 11:00 AM

I hope one of my article may help you. But unfortunately I have not yet finished. But I will finish within a week.
    our children: Formal learning
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 11:06 AM

Just holding the pen and scribbling for now is good enough.. the majority of children learn how to write at 5 years of age.

Dot to dot alphabet are good for a start,just to get the feel of the shape...

There are loads of eductional books and songs available now, children learn mostly through play... make it fun.

To end,she's too young yet to have the attention span required for study.
    meyowgee Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2010, 09:02 PM

Three year olds are a little young for handwriting exercises. Try making it fun. Put some vanilla pudding in a flat pan and let her make her letters and numbers with a chop stick. The result is the same and a lot more fun. Add a little food color and see how many colors you can make. Cut her letters out of sand paper glue them to a file folder, put a blank sheet on paper over them and have her rub the clean paper with a crayon. This will increase her small motor skills and help her learn her letters. Have fun she will be asking for the car keys soon enough.
    septemberlove Posts: 30, Reputation: 11

Jul 11, 2010, 02:44 PM
    I love the pudding idea! In my three year old class we use shaving cream on the table. I'll say "Let's draw the letter 'A' with our fingers!" Or I'll hold up a letter card, and the kids will yell out the letter I'm holding and then try to copy it on the table with their fingers. This is so much fun for them, and they are learning!

Don't worry about making her sit down and write/study. She's three! Let her enjoy being three! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with a stubborn friend [ 4 Answers ]

My best friend and I have always been really close. We're both 22 and have been friends for 20 years. I don't remember my life without her.. She has always been there. We went to the same elementary school, same high school, and lived only 1 block apart until she moved to a different city last...

Toddlers and Tiaras [ 17 Answers ]

Toddlers and Tiaras. Have you ever seen the show? It's about kids in beauty pageants and their parents. What do you think about child beauty pageants? Good, bad, indifferent? Personally, I don't understand why. These kids wear fake teeth, hair, some parents even get fake tans for...

Toddlers health [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is two years old and has on and off diarrhea for the past year. She sometimes will go two to three weeks before it clears up. We have tested for everything and all shows up negative. Any advice?

Dealing with stubborn toddler [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My two years old son has become very stubborn and crancky these days. For every small thing he starts crying and becomes very aggressive,he hits us if we do not listen to him. I've tried to explain him,being strict too... but doesn't work he keeps on crying for hours together if we hit him or...

Toddlers and Funerals [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers father in law passed away in a traffic accident last night. He and his wife have a 3 year old girl. My brother is torn between wanting to go along with his wife and mother in laws wishes about having his daughter present for ALL aspects of the preparations, visitations and the funeral,...

View more questions Search