Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomknu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 05:24 PM
    1099 misc line 7 nonemployee compensation
    I received a employment settlement from my ex employer. I first filed a wc claim with my employer they denied it. The Ama dr agreed in my favor and recommended reasonable accmmodation. I filed paper for reasonable accomm. My employer settle my WC case in compromise with my resignation (I was told they did not have to accommodate) also in the comprosmise I stated that a charge with eeoc will be persude. I did file a claim with EEoc that I was not given accommodation to return to work they also found in my favor
    The ex employer settled with a binding agreement in reconsiliation. To drop my charges and waive rights to sue in future regarding that case. Question is the settlement in assoc with WC claim or stand alone discricminations claim what is the tax implications. I have been different answer by IRS from do it like self employment tax to the IRs veiws settlments as emotional distress settlement when there are no allocations or tax withheld.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 05:57 AM

It appears that in your case the income is taxable and you will report it on schedule C or C-EZ and pay SE tax at 15.3%.

Settlement for injury is not taxable. If it is for lost wages or interest, it is taxable. Attorneys fees are deductible if they are an attempt to get you taxable income otherwise they are not deductible. You can usually deduct legal expenses that you pay or incur to produce or collect taxable income or in connection with the determination, collection, or refund of any tax. Settlement taxes Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Income Tax Topics 1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

W-2 and 1099-MISC (tuition reimbursement as Nonemployee compensation) by employer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I am a full time employee of a company since 2006. I have done graduate degree during 2005-2007 and taken education credits using Form-8863 in all three years. As I did not receive any tuition reimbursement (or I did not know I'll get any reimbursement) during these years, I have put full...

1099-MISC Nonemployee Compensation 7 What Additional Forms? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was a grant reviewer for the National Science Foundation, last spring (2007). This was a one time trip to DC and he received about $1720. In compensation from NSF. As a result, we received a 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income form (stating Nonemployee Compensation 7) from them for that...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation - Tips [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, While doing work as a independent contractor out of town for 10 days for a company, I tipped the hotel cleaning lady 25.00 at the end of my stay. I did not report this as an expense on my invoice to the company. Can I deduct it at all anyway? Also where it is on the federal form that I...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped. I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent...

View more questions Search