Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logoideas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
    Yorkie may be sick... not sure... please help!
    I just got a new yorkie... 10 months old. Her name is Lola. Please read and tell me what to do. What if this is really serious?
    This is the time line on the symptoms I have noticed:
    November 22nd Wednesday: received her as a surprise gift from my husband, didn't NOTICE any signs
    November 23rd (thanksgiving) Thursday: noticed a light clear runny nose and weird gagging noises
    November 24th Friday: took her to vet and she said that she may have an upper respiratory infection. She gave me antibiotics. The vet said that it could become serious, but also it may just go away. The vet said the gagging noises are reverse sneezes.
    November 25th Saturday: very playful, very light runny nose
    November 26th (Sunday,today) morning she was fine. In the afternoon we traveled back to san diego and she slept on the plane the whole time. When we got off for a lay over she peed, ate, played and pood. When we got back on the plane she slept the whole time. We got home and I NOTICED A VERY VERY CLEAR RUNNY NOSE AND LIKE 10 SECONDS OF CONSTANT GAGGING NOISE WHEN SHE WOKE UP FROM A NAP. She did eat and poo again when we got home. And she is also playful and wagging her tail a lot.

SO, BASICALLY, I am so worried because I'm not sure if this is all normal: the runny nose, reverse sneezing, gagging noise, eating like 3-4 times a day but each time she eats like 15 little pieces of food (is that enough?), not too much water (not sure how much she should drink either). And still she is very playful and happy!
    I know the vet diagnosed a probable Upper Respiratory Infections (URI), but I want to believe Lola will be fine! Did I make it worse by travelling so soon? I don't know what I will do if this get's worse! Pleeeease help!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 27, 2006, 12:24 AM
    Hi Logoideas,
    It is really difficult to say, though this could be one possible cause:

http://www.2ndchance.info/kennelcough.htm

As long as she is playfully active, eating and drinking, I wouldn't be too worried for the time being.
    Hope everything clears up soon. Take care. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 04:24 AM
    I would let her go a day or 2 as long as you still have her on antibiotics. The vet did give you a 2 week supply?

Don't worry about the eating, sick, new home, flight, etc. Give her time to adjust. Most light eating is due to over feeding. Check her body condition as illustrated in this link, http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx If she needs to lose weight, feed her at the low end of the rate on the package or even a little less.

If you are new to dog ownership, check the stickies at the top of the Dog forum.

Nov 27, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Thank you soooo much for your responses! Thomas1970 sent a great link that really helped me feel more at ease! I'm also going to the vet today... so hopefully we'll get through this!! Thank you so much!! I truly appreciate the response!! And I'll keep you posted! Do you have a yorkie?

Nov 27, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Labman, thank you so much as well! I really have a lot to learn. I have had dogs before, but not as small as this one. Lola is so fragile! And the vet I went to see back home in Texas was so cold and rude. She said we should think about returning the dog where we bought it! Yeah right!! She's not that sick! And I have faith she is going to get better! Thank you sooooo much for the support!!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 27, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Hi Logoideas,
    You're very welcome. I'm glad you found the link helpful. I myself have three dogs. One is an English Setter. Another, her son, is half Rottweiler. And the third one is somewhat indeterminate. I think it may be part Greyhound. Two cats as well.
    I'm glad to hear you've got a vet appointment. I'll look forward to hearing your updates. Thanks.
    Take care. :)
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 27, 2006, 07:55 PM
    I'm so glad you got good advice.

I wanted to encourage you to SHOP FOR A VET... Find one you really like how they think about dogs and how they treat you, and not just whether you can afford their rates.

It makes a HUGE difference to me that my vet will not sugar coat things (I'm a bottom line kind of person) and cried when it was time for my old dog to bross the Bridge.

You've been traveling a lot with your little kiddo, so give her plenty of time to settle in.

Enjoy !

-Beth
    Shawlome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 04:25 AM
    My 9 month old Yorshire Terrier won't eat or hasn't pooped in two days, he sleeps a lot, playful for a while and then just gives out. My first dog and terrified if anyone has any advise... the vet is the next stop
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 14, 2007, 05:02 AM
    I would take him to the vet's. Puppies are very sensitive little critters.

In the meantime, his drinking enough is much more vital than eating...

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Beth is right. Good to see her back. Try offering him pieces of ice. My dogs are crazy about ice cubes, but I think it is an acquired taste. There is no guessing what the problem should be. Get him to the vet tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My yorkie [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My Yorkie Is Having Diarrhea Problems Some Throwing Up Hes Pretty Sluggish Iam Concern About Him Can You Tell Me What It Might Be And What I Can Do For Him Till I Get Him To The Vet Tomorrow

My yorkie growls at his tail... [ 1 Answers ]

My pet yorkie is 14 months old and he has always fed very well. But for the past few months every time I give him his food he keeps looking behind himself at his tail. He growls and goes for it. This only happens when food is around. He has also stopped eating his food. If I pick up the food with...

Could my Yorkie have WORMS? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not sure what the signs of worms are. For a couple days he was throwing up a little and I am not sure why, but he has stopped now. He is laying beside me and his belly is making the weirdest noises. Gurgling and whatnot. He doesn't eat ANYTHING but his dog food, ever. We don't feed him table...

Yorkie Diarreah [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a 7 month old Yorkie that I've only had two weeks. Two nights ago he got diarreah, which I think is because my father wanted to feed him some leftover eggs with cheese in them. I'm not sure but it's the only thing he has ate out of the ordinary. He WON'T QUIT POOPING EVERYWHERE! I can't...

Yorkie puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a small yorkie puppie at a reasonable price can't afford a lot but would really love it

View more questions Search