Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    officereachnola Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Does a Board of Directors have to have a Secretary?
    I work at a new non-profit and am trying to create a manual for the Board of Directors. In terms of Board officers, do we have to elect a Board secretary?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

The NPC was created under the laws of which state? One would have to examine the corporations statute of that state to give you an accurate answer.

Normally a BOD has an elected secretary. Why does it matter?

Feb 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Our board is a bit reticent to change- there is no secretary as of yet, I think that it is mandatory, though I have no proof if that yet. I'm in Louisiana.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by officereachnola View Post
    Our board is a bit reticent to change- there is no secretary as of yet, I think that it is mandatory, though I have no proof if that yet. I'm in Louisiana.
    Yes, the Louisiana non-profit corporation statute requires a secretary.

§225. Officers and agents

A.(1) The board of directors shall elect a president, a secretary and a treasurer, and may elect one or more vice presidents.
    RS 12:225 — Officers and agents - Louisiana RS 12:225 — Officers and agents - Louisiana Code :: Justia

You do understand, I hope, that while a corporate secretary has a few statutorily prescribed duties, this doesn't mean that other people cannot do other things which you might suppose a "secretary" would do. It's a corporate office, not a typing, filing, shorthand, receptionist job description. So I still don't understand the problem you seem to be having. The "Secretary" of the corporation would sign the minutes and be the official custodian of the corporate records. Someone else could do a whole host of other things (including creating a manual for board members).

Feb 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
    I'm new to the organization and the operation of the board and the ED hasn't given me a clear answer as to why the board isn't looking to moving past the "hey, we're a Board" phase. Thank you for your help; the statute will go a long way in convincing the board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Church - Board of Directors [ 5 Answers ]

I attend a Church in which the Board of Directors is appointed by the Senior Pastor. In addition, all pastors become a member of the Board of Directors. Since all of the pastors are paid by the Church, doesn't this create a conflict of interest that could jeopardize our 501(c)3 status? Also, the...

Board of Directors [ 2 Answers ]

Can the four officers who sit on the Board of Directors change & create new policies & procedures while deliberately excluding three members of the full Board?

Officers and Board of Directors [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between board of directors and officers?

501c3 Board of Directors [ 3 Answers ]

I am on the board of directors of a 501c3 corporation. Another member of our board wants to have our website post a link to her website which is a for profit business. I have a problem with this because she is trying to profit her business from our website. Is this legal?

My Secretary [ 3 Answers ]

Last week was my birthday And I didn't feel very well Waking up on that morning. I went downstairs for breakfast Hoping my wife would be pleasant and say, 'Happy Birthday!', And possibly have a small present for me. As it turned out,

View more questions Search