Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asma410 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Husband in NC & Wife in VA
    Hello,
    I got married in August 2009. I am living & working in Virginia & my husband lives/works in North Carolina. We have our separate apartments & expenses. After marriage I bought a car for him (the car loan is on my name but he is making the monthly payments) . Since this is the first year we will be filing together, I need advice.

Can we file jointly?
    Does showing our separate expenses, plus the new car earn us any returns?

When he filed last year he owed IRS money, whereas I got some money back. Not sure if getting married would actually get us anything back from IRS.

I would really appreciate your response.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 09:14 AM

1. Yes - you can file jointly for your federal return. This will probably save you money compared to filing as Married Filing Separately. But if you want to double check, you can always go through the exercise of calculating your taxes both ways and see which works out best for you.

2. The credit for new car purchase and/or sales tax deduction for it depends on factors such as your adjusted gross income, but the fact that you live in separate states is immaterial.

You didn't ask about how to file in VA and NC - be aware that since you live and work in different states, you can file as married filing separate on your state returns even though you file jointly for the federal return - this way you avoid paying taxes to NC and he avoids paying taxes to VA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband & wife on OPT to H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I was on OPT status from Feb 2008 to Sept 2008 and on H-1 from Oct1 -12/31.My wife was also on OPT and became a H-1 on Oct 1. We both work for the same company from Fen -Dec while on OPT and H-1. I know that we both have to file 1040 and then 1040NR as a statement. My questions are:- (1) Do we...

Husband on H1 & Wife on OPT to H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Currently, I am on H1 and got married in 2008. My wife was on OPT from Jan 08 to Sep 08 and then changed her status to H1 from Oct 08. It will be the first tax return together :), so please help!!! 1) Which is better / simpler - filing jointly or separately? 2) If separately, which form...

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws what & how one should move [ 2 Answers ]

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws and one is keeping quite for the sake of child & social implications. Now how one should move??

View more questions Search