Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matty79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Unemployment - 1099
    I was laid off last summer and been looking for work ever since. I was recently offered a position that would be a 1099 sales gig. I am currently collecting mass unemployment. Can I start working this other gig while still on unemployment and collect any difference in pay between what I make on unemployment and what I get paid weekly? I'm having a tough time getting through to the UI office and don't want to do anything wrong but want to get started on this. Also, if it's a huge flop and I'm not making any money in a month or two, can I go back to my full claim?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 03:07 PM

If you did start working the other job and it didn't work out you would not be able to just go back and start collecting UE again as you quit the job.

Also, give this some thought. There has been now no extension of the Federal Unemployment Benefits after the initial 26 weeks of State benefits. So, you decide what you want to do knowing that you now can't collect for 52 weeks (and possibly up to 79 weeks) since Bammy hasn't signed anythng YET. He may, but then there is no guarantee that he will. Many unemployment benefits are ending at the end of February, 2010 for people who are collecting above their initial 26 weeks of benefits. If you are in that category, you won't get any more checks from UE for awhile until they decide to refund this again.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 03:09 PM
    That's probably why you can't get through to the office as everyone is calling having a panic attack over the stopping of the benefits.

Check to see if there is a web site for Mass Unemployment to get the full picture of what I'm talking about.
    matty79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
    Thanks for the response, I did some additional research today and found that I can in fact earn wages while on unemployment up to a certain amount, and I just have to call in that figure with my weekly claim. The grey area is what if it does not work out - the "employer" is looking at this as a trial basis, so if it doesn't work out I'm not the only one who can call an end to it. I'm just worried about making the mortgage payment with no income! Unemployment seems to keep the claim open and if I accept a temporary position I can reopen the claim when the temp position opens. I'm just wondering if there is anything special about it being a 1099 position... Also, I just filed an extension for 20 weeks, so apparently there is at least something here in Mass that is ongoing... When I call the phone system still ends my call saying to call back at another time because of volume :-\

these two sections from this site seem to apply?
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdterminal&L=6&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2= General+Resources&L3=Questions+and+Answers&L4=Unem ployment+Insurance+FAQs&L5=For+Claimants&sid=Elwd& b=terminalcontent&f=dua_q%26a_qa_file_claim&csid=E lwd#twice

7. I was laid off twice in a year. Can I file twice?
    Once your claim is filed, it remains the same for one year. Your claim can be opened and closed during that year depending on your employment and availability status. It is available until you exhaust all your benefits or until your benefit year has expired, whichever comes first.

8. How do I close or reopen my claim?
    If you wish to close your claim, do not call and claim weekly benefits. That will stop your claim automatically. If you wish to reopen your claim, you will need to call the TeleClaim Center (Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 6:30 pm and Saturday, 8:00 am to 1:30 pm at 1-617-626-6800 or toll free 1-877-626-6800 from area codes 351, 413, 508, 774, 978).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 20 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

Unemployment and 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off in 2009 and have been collecting unemployment in California. My previous employer owes me back-pay for commissions that were earned as an employee, but the payments were scheduled to pay out monthly over a period. Now my previous employer wishes to pay me the back payments as 1099...

Unemployment as 1099? [ 2 Answers ]

I was laid off yesterday due to company closing and elimination of my position. I have already received a job offer part time as a 1099. In the state of GA, can a person still draw unemployment benefits if working part time as a 1099?

1099 and unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working for this company about 3 yrs. I started on the books. The last 3 months or so I have been switched to 1099 pay. I read another Q&A that said I can’t collect unemployment if I get laid of now that I’m 1099. If I get laid off am I not eligible to collect for the previous...

Unemployment and misc.1099 [ 2 Answers ]

I've worked for a company for two years. I was paid 1099 misc. I was not a self contractor. I managed a department and drove a company vehicle. I had a set schedule that was made by my dept. head and had to report to someone daily. Will I be able to collect unemployment?

View more questions Search