Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ak2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Us income tax for l1 visa holders
    Hi,

I came to US from India on L1 VISA on Oct 12, 2009 and planning to stay for more than 1 year. I got my W2 from my employer, I have some queries regarding the Tax filing -
    1. Can I file the Tax as a Resident?
    2. Do I need to wait till the completion of 183 days, which will be on April 13, 2010 to file as a resident?
    3. My wife (on L2 VISA) joins me on Dec 24, 2009, and she got her SSN, can we file as a combined tax?
    4. What form should we fill?

Thanking you in anticipation. Please let me know in case you need any more clarification.

Regards,
    AK
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 04:30 AM

Choice 1: File non-resident tax return. Claim moving expenses for both of you.

Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait for about 5 months to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you. You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555). Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and children and attach with your tax return. You can also deduct moving expenses. Use form 3903. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

File state tax return only after you get ITIN. Make sure to pay any tax due on or before April 15, 2010. If needed, file for extension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on Income for L1b Visa holders in MA [ 2 Answers ]

What will be the amount of Tax on income including Medicare and Social security for L1B visa holders in MA for the following amounts $48000, $50000, $60000 for Single

Tax for G-4 visa holders [ 1 Answers ]

My wife is G-4 visa holder (Dependent). She worked for a month and received around $2000 as salary. How should we file the taxes for that? Where should file taxes.

Do L2 visa holders with EAD but no income need to file fed tax returns? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an indian and I am spouse of a Non resident Alien Status person. My status is that I received an Employment Authorization (EAD) in Year 2007, have a SSN and I am L2 Visa status but did not have any income. I stayed in US for less than 183 days and never been to US earlier. Do I need...

Interest income for G-4 visa holders. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! I know that earned income is not taxable for G-4 visa holders, but what about bank interest income? Is there a limit/threshold? For instance, if I earned over $5,000.00 in interest for the year in deposit accounts, is some of that taxable? Also, if I filed taxes with my spouse (who...

View more questions Search