Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nantucket5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
    How would I raise up the base track on shower door about 3/4 in.
    I want to install bypass shower doors on my existing tub but on one side of the end wall it has about a 7 inch tile built out so my tub height is about 3/4 in. lower than this 7in. Tile that extends out from the wall. I really don't want to cut into the tile. What would I use to raise up the lower track 3/4 - 1in. So that it can be mounted to both end walls and be level?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2010, 03:45 PM

Is it level now or will you need to taper whatever you put in to make it level? Is color a factor?

Feb 21, 2010, 06:04 PM

It is level now, color does not matter
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:23 PM

Hi Nantuck5

If I am reading correctly, u have an opening from wall to wall of 5feet 7 inches. There is a tile set at end of about 3/4 inch higher then tub.

Get 3/4 inch high aluminum by width of bottom track and silicone to tub. Then install shower door frame according to instructions.

If cann't get width of track, get 2 pieces 3/4 inch square aluminum and set so flush with edges of track

Good luck

Chuck

Feb 21, 2010, 09:38 PM
    I have added a photo. I think my answer to your question is yes. Are you saying to get 3/4 high aluminum which is the width from wall to wall and cut out an area on the aluminum where the tile is raised up?
    Attached Images

Feb 21, 2010, 11:06 PM

You could also consider a piece of pvc trim. It works like wood but is solid to handle the wet area.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 02:08 AM

Do u have door unit already?

Is it large enough to fit opening from wall to wall? If not u will have to put in a side panel on tile to make unit fit and unit should be able to sit on tub without buildup.

Chuck

Feb 22, 2010, 09:03 AM

I do not have a door unit already. I can buy a standard width that will fit wall to wall. I would prefer not to use a side panel unless no other way to do it.
    PatcyMcn Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2010, 02:00 PM

Get TUBULAR aluminim at a metal supplier. It should come in several recutangular sizes.

Another option is CELLULAR PVC LUMBER. This is available at home improvement stores.

Feb 22, 2010, 04:25 PM

I you use pvc as a base you can secure the trim to the tub then drill the track to the pvc... let us know..
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 11:18 PM

What is measurment from wall to wall?

Chuck

Feb 23, 2010, 12:56 AM

This is probably a stupid question but isn't PVC round?

Feb 23, 2010, 12:58 AM

From wall to wall in measures 66 in.

Feb 23, 2010, 09:03 AM

the pvc we are talking about is what some people use as exterior trim. It is used there because it is so durable. It also can be crafted like wood to fit any water application. It is solid pvc all the way through.it is sold in 1x4,6,8,10,12. Most lumber yards stock it
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2010, 01:22 PM

Have not seen any shower door sets that measure that wide. Most are set for a 60 inch tub. To fit a 66'' opening u may have to have custom made.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding glass door track [ 1 Answers ]

My doors just have a bottom track and it is rusted in one section causing it to bump when opening or shutting it. It is a tripple track with three 4 foot doors. Why can't I get a new track made ?

How to dismantle a shower door track [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slide glass door mounted on the glassfiber bathtub. Now I would like to take I down and change to a curve shower curtain bar. I believe the track of the sliding door is glued using epoxy on the edge of the bathtub. How to dismount it without damaging the bathtub? Thanks in advance.

Use existing track for new garage door [ 5 Answers ]

I have a garage door 10 years old and track is perfect. Can I use it for replacement door?

Shower door track [ 8 Answers ]

My Shower door gray track is cracked, went to home Depot and Lowe's have no stock. Where can I get this from, see the Image below? Thank. John

Base for shower door [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! We just had an addition put on our house, and are finishing the last items since our contractor left us high and dry (but that's another problem). The shower has a common fiberglass shower base, and we have a standard sliding shower door that must be installed. The contractors built a...

View more questions Search