Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KasiaG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Tax treaty uk usa
    Hello,

I'm now working as a fellow postdoc in USA and I'm a resident of United Kingdom,
    I was informed that I do not have to pay taxes in USA if I'm going to stay for less than 2 years. Does it mean that if I stay for longer than two years, I will have to pay the tax back, or that I will have to start paying the tax after two years (without paying the tax for the first two years).

Thank you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 04:21 AM

This is from IRS publication 901. Tax Treaties
    "A professor or teacher who is a resident of the United Kingdom on the date of arrival in the United States and who is in the United States for not longer than 2 years primarily to teach or engage in research at a university, college, or other recognized educational institution is exempt from U.S. income tax on income for the teaching or research. If the individual's 2-year period is exceeded, the exemption is lost for the entire visit, including the 2-year period.
    The exemption does not apply to income from research carried on mainly for the private benefit of any person rather than in the public interest."

You must have J1 visa for Research. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    KasiaG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
    Thank you very much, that's the information I was looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Germany-USA tax treaty [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I moved from Germany to the States to work as a Research Associate on a J-1 visa for 2 years. Since I heard about the tax treaty between Germany and the US, I applied for tax exemption in the local payroll office. From now on, they don't withdraw any taxes from my salary, which...

USA-India tax treaty: are benefits subject to tax? [ 3 Answers ]

I have worked in the USA for two short stints over the last decade. On both occasions, under the terms of the USA-India tax treaty, I was treated as exempt from payment of taxes in the USA. Now, having reached the age of retirement I am now entitled to withdraw my benefits. My employers had...

USA-Italy tax treaty [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I arrived to the States this last week and will do a post-doc (research) here. I was told to fill a 8233 form in order not to pay taxes in the US (as I already pay them in Italy). The first question does anyone know what is the Tax treaty article for Italy in the US? The second question is...

India usa tax treaty [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am international student on F1 visa from India for past 3 yrs in US Can I use the india-us tax treaty to get my whole tax money back?

401k USA/UK tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I have approx $210,000 in a US company 401k scheme. I am almost 72 years old and a UK National and resident. I previously worked in the USA under a Green Card. I retired in 1996 and surrendered my Green Card and now live in the UK on a permenent basis. I am married and my wife is almost 67 years...

View more questions Search