Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NNess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Can you place cement board directly over greenboard (sheetrock) and add tile?
    Our bathtub was finished w/greenboard (sheetrock) around it and we are wanting to tile, can we place cement backer board directly over the greenboard and then tile or do we need to tear out the sheetrock and place the cement board up?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2010, 03:42 PM

What kind of sheetrock is it?how long has it been up? What condition is it in? Most importantly,why do you not want to remove it?
    NNess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtconc View Post
    what kind of sheetrock is it?how long has it been up? what condition is it in? most importantly,why do you not want to remove it?
    Not sure what you mean by what kind. It is green, maybe 5/8 inch. It has been up for maybe 4 years. Good condition, primed and painted. It would be easier to not have to take it down but to just add cement board overtop of it. The thickness of the sheetrock and cement board are different so if we take it down it will not match up next to the sheetrock where they meet on the wall.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2010, 11:15 PM

Green is moisture resistant,not as good in a wet area as cement board. My guess is the cement board is the same thickness as the sheetrock. If water gets behind there,the tiles will fail on sheetrock.I would suggest sheetrock gets replaced.
    leifweaver Posts: 39, Reputation: 11

Feb 21, 2010, 11:53 PM

No, the cement board and MR sheetrock will form a sandwich that will allow a film of moisture and lead to mould. Best practice would be to tear out the greenboard and replace with the cement board. You can use furring strips to bring out the cement board so that the tile will work with the adjacent wall material, if needed, or use hide the transition with trim (it works best if the tile is proud to the adjacent surface). However, there is a product called Kerdi that you can use over the greenboard and seal it from the moisture, and then tile directly over the sealed greenboard. You will want to take extra care sealing at the tub flange. I have used this product many times, and have never had a problem with it. Properly installed, it will last indefinitely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco or plaster directly to cement board? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Can I apply stucco or plaster directly to cement board? (ie - without the use of a wire/fiber mesh) If so can I do it in one coat or do I have to use a base then finishing coat? This is in a basement I am finishing. Thank you

Can you paint cement backer board, then tile over it later? [ 3 Answers ]

We have put cement backer board up in the bathroom and plan to tile over it later. Can we paint it first until we have the time and money to tile it?

Tile directly to cement basement floor to create shower [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had to rip out a small neo angle shower in my basement because it backed up. It has a metal strainer on it that rusted shut and the floor drain was not above the shower pan drain to be reached. Also, it turns out that under the plastic shower pan of the previous shower, the tiling...

Cement backer board over vinyl tile [ 4 Answers ]

Is it OK to screw cement backer board over 12 x12 vinyli tile before applying ceramic tile?

Can I Paint Cement Board Now, and Tile Later? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing a new shower, I used a pre-fab shower enclosure set and would like to tile the walls and ceiling over the shower in the long run. For now though, I'd like to wrap it up. I know I can prime and paint the backerboard but I don't know if this makes it unsuitable for tiling over later....

View more questions Search