Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikect05 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Adding Pex to exsisting copper
    I am in the process of quite a bit of home repair and remodeling. Right now I am going to be working on adding a new bathroom to my basement and I would like to use Pex. When I am done I plan on redoing my other bathroom in the house and changing out the copper there to Pex. I don't want to redo the whole house with Pex but I am planning on doing roughly 7 fixtures in all with Pex (5 hot lines and 7 cold).
    My question is how and where should I tie this into my exsisting water lines? I am thinking about adding a Pex Manifold in my basement to run all this off it but am wondering if this will affect water pressure on the other fixtures on the copper. I have seen the Pex run two different ways, one way is from the manifold and the other way is a larger diameter Pex with Ts off it to fixtures. Is one way better or would it work for me to just put Ts in my lines and add Pex Directly from there and T that off to different fixtures.
    Thank you very much!
    Michael

Feb 22, 2010, 11:15 AM

Bump :-)
    royals91 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2010, 12:51 PM

Mike are you just looking to branch off the copper to just run to your bathroom which I believe that it you can access it from the basement as well as a basement bathroom? If so then you want to branch off so you are not redoing your kitchen and maybe other baths with pex and just leaving them copper. If you run a manifold then it needs to be after the branch from other runs in the house. I guess it depends on your lay out and what you can get to and what you can't

Feb 24, 2010, 01:18 PM

Thx for the reply, To answer your question, I can get to every thing very easily now. The only thing I want to leave on the copper is the kitchen (sink, fridge, dishwasher) I also want to leave the furnace/hotwater heater on the copper. I do want to install the manifold after the furnace/hotwater heater but before the kitchen, perhaps I should just run the kitchen with Pex too, it won't be that difficult but I wonder about Pex leaching chemicals into our drinking water, even though I know it is considered safe, but new things always come up and since it is already copper I figure just leave it.
    I have very good water pressure. So could I put the manifold branching off before the kitchen, or is it code not to do that?
    Thanks for your help,
    Michael
    royals91 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2010, 01:32 PM

Well I do know that uponor (wirsbo) is potable drinking water I have it in my house. You can T it off or run a manifold if you have good pressure then that's up to you. You need to check the code where you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding pex tubing to copper [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want use pex tubing to work around a difficult area in my bathroom tub. My plan was to cut the copper pipe add shut off valves and the pex tubing using compression fittings. Is this okay. I'm not much for sweating pipes in a small access space. Thanks -Gerry

Adding a toilet /2nd floor/into exsisting main stack [ 1 Answers ]

Have an older home (late 19th century) wanting to add a bathroom to the 2nd floor. There is a exposed main vent stack(4") and I want to tie into it with PVC. How can I properly remove the connection joint without destroying the cast pipe?

Adding can lights to an exsisting circuit [ 1 Answers ]

When I built my house 4 years ago I did not put cans above my bar. My wife is now thinking that we should do that. I want to tie into an exsisting light above the sink. I am wondering if I can just run wire from that light, to can 1, then to can 2. Connecting whites to whites, black to black,...

Using pex and copper [ 3 Answers ]

We are redoing the majority of the supply in a house we are remodeling. Is there any code or standard on using pex when attaching the water heater. The supply comes in the house as copper. Can we convert it after the meter to pex or do we have to wait until after the water heater? If so, how far...

Pex to copper [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to have a humidifer installed on my furnace. The house is plumbed with Pex through out. I assumed that there would be a short piece of copper coming from the water heater, but there is not. I need a short piece of copper to mount a Saddle valve on to supply the water to the humidifer. I...

View more questions Search