Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andlie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 08:25 PM
    I am having trouble understanding the venn diagrams.
    All spiders are things with eight legs. All black widows are spiders, therefore all black widows are things having eight legs. I need help shading the venn diagram.
    leifweaver Posts: 39, Reputation: 11

Feb 20, 2010, 08:51 PM

Draw a circle, label it "All spiders". Draw a 2nd circle COMPLETELY INSIDE it (like a target). Label the 2nd circle "Black Widows". This shows that All black widows are spiders and therefor have 8 legs.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Feb 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andlie View Post
    All spiders are things with eight legs. All black widows are spiders, therefore all black widows are things having eight legs. I need help shading the venn diagram.
    Hello andlie,

Actually you will need three circles overlapping. You have probably noticed that you have three different terms, i.e. spiders, Black Widow and eight legs. Each occurs twice.

Spider is the middle term and as such it appears twice, therefore it will not appear in the conclusion. There must be a major term in the syllogism and it will appear as the predicate of the conclusion.

This is why it is a good idea to label your syllogism M for the middle term, S for the minor term and P for the major term. It is also a good idea to label your circles with these terms.

You should come up with something like this before you draw your circles.

All spiders are eight legged
    (All M are P)

All Black Widows are spiders
    ( All S are M

T/F All Black Widows are eight legged
    (All S are P)

What you should notice when you do the shading is that the only unshaded area of S is in all three classes. It is also important to note that the area S is completely within the P class.

Good luck with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm having trouble understanding this guy [ 1 Answers ]

So last year I was sort of friends with this one guy who I kind of liked... I think he liked me to because he would flirt with me sometimes and stare at me, I told him I liked him but he was draw between me and this other girl, at the end of the year I noticed him staring at me sometimes. His...

Trouble Understanding God [ 13 Answers ]

I had a baby two months ago, before my baby was born I had a ultrasound and the doctor told me that something was going to be wrong with my babies toes. So from that moment on I started praying, up until the day he was born. When he was born his toes were disfigured - on one foot he had five toes...

Understanding roof truss diagrams. [ 17 Answers ]

Hello - I am in the process of investigating expanding a room by taking some space out of my garage. This entails moving a wall about 2.5 feet into the garage to gain this space in a mud/laundry room. Above the room is attic space (which is easily accessable). My concern is that the current...

Argument forms and venn diagrams [ 1 Answers ]

Some M are S Some M are not P Some S are not P Please help :confused:

Venn Diagrams [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with Venn diagrams, The question reads in an interview of 5 math majors, 12 like calculus and geo 18 like cals but not algebra 4 like cal, alg, and geo 25 like cal 15 like geo 10 like alge but neither cal or geo

View more questions Search