Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roxxie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Compulsive stealing
    I have someone in my family who steals from everyone to buy drugs. She has no sense of responsibility and does not care who she hurts.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:20 AM

And what is your question?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
    So they call the police, have them arrested and put in jail. So what is the issue ?

Or they merely never let that family member in their home or on their property

Feb 21, 2010, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    And what is your question?
    That is all very easy, but she is bi-polar, has liver disease is a heroine addict and could not survive prison. Is this some sort of mental illness? I know she steals to buy drugs, but I cannot bring myself to call the police.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxxie View Post
    That is all very easy, but she is bi-polar, has liver disease is a heroine addict and could not survive prison. Is this some sort of mental illness? I know she steals to buy drugs, but I cannot bring myself to call the police.
    There is an easy answer, you are enabling her to continue, make it stop,be the sane one and get her help!

Feb 21, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    There is an easy answer,,you are enabling her to continue,,make it stop,be the sane one and get her help!
    You are right, we have tried repeated rehabs, therapy, nothing works, I guess we have to cut her out of the family until she wants to get well on her own. We are all afraid she will commit suicide, overdose or get HIV. But I realize that there are no answers but to let her go.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxxie View Post
    You are right, we have tried repeated rehabs, therapy, nothing works, i guess we have to cut her out of the family until she wants to get well on her own. We are all afraid she will commit suicide, overdose or get HIV. But I realize that there are no answers but to let her go.
    I know it's hard but tough love has to happen sometimes.. I am sorry you have to go through this.

Feb 22, 2010, 12:49 AM

Thank you for your help and support
    trudger67 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2010, 04:24 PM

This person suffers an illness, a side-effect is no conscience. It is correct that you are enabling. You need to set boundaries with her at the door. While you let her get away with it, you give her permission to do it again, hence enabling her to feed her addiction, hence kill herself. Jail is the best place for her - it is her only hope of cleaning up. Do yourself and her a favour - CALL THE POLICE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive lying and stealing no hope? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I am eve33, I joined this site for answers of questions that I have carried with me since 7 years ago, deal with a child that is my biological son and realizing that the problems he is having even today has or had nothing to do with me. I have come to terms that anything that I have tried,...

Compulsive stealing and Lying with my troulbed teen [ 4 Answers ]

I am a mother of 4 boys, my eldest is 16 he was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 4 after bad behavior in Pre-school. He was put on dexamphetamine for his behavior until they had no affected after a few years on them, then switched to Ritalin, which had some good affects until he became withdrawn...

Compulsive stealing and lying [ 3 Answers ]

I have been recently discovered that my mother has a problem with stealing. She has been a chronic lyar and now this is new. She is 79 years old. Is this a common problem in the elderly? Please help me to learn ways in which I can help her.

Compulsive stealing [ 9 Answers ]

My son is 11 yrs old, and he has a problem with stealing, he has always taken things at first it was things like batteries or pens but now it has esculated to money, phones and games consoles. Last year he stole £40 out of my purse, he has stolen £90 from 2 teachers in primary school, in the last 2...

Compulsive Lying [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My boyfriend of 3 years lies for everything. He first lied to me that he and his sister who is a year apart are twins. I only found out sometime ago and to confronted him... todate he hasn't admitted it was a lie. In another instance he lied that his father is dead, I have recently found...

View more questions Search