Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dezso3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Weather in the Alps vs. the Rockies
    Why is it that it is much colder in the Rocky Mountains than it is in the European Alps, and that the Rockies also receive more snow, even though the Alps are further north? For example, Lech, Austria, is located at 47.3 degrees north, and averages just 7 meters (21 feet) of snow per year, whereas Alta, Utah, is located at 40.5 degrees north, and averages about 13 meters (39 feet) of snow per year. I also know from experience that when I went skiing to Alta one year, and the next two years I went to Vail, Colorado, it was much colder there than it was in the towns of Briancon and Chamonix in the French Alps. In Alta and Vail, the only precipitation that fell was snow, whereas in the Alps it rained a few times. Someone told me that in the Alps what occurs often is a temperature inversion, which can cause the temperature to be above freezing even at an altitude of 2500m (7500ft.). Can someone explain to me exactly why this is, and why the Rockies have a colder and snowier climate than the Alps? :confused:
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 21, 2010, 03:02 PM

Not a detailed answer, but I will make the observation that, too a good degree, Europe at a given latitude is warmer than much of the North American continent. Note that Newfoundland and France are at basically the same latitude. Ireland is at the same latitude as Hudson Bay. So latitude is obviously only one factor The answer likely lies in the combination of: ocean currents, ocean location (note the Mediterranean Sea south of the Alps), how the currents react to different land masses, and the prevailing wind patterns.
    atraherne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Western Europe is in a temperate climate due to the gulf stream, this is why it is a lot warmer in Western Europe compared to America during winter time on same latitude, believe it or not winter in Scotland is relatively mild. This is why Washington DC gets summer weather like Spain because of its southern latitude but winters like northern Scotland. Sea will moderate the American coast as well just not to the degree of the gulf stream. Notice how cold Moscow is yet it is on the same latitude as London that rarely sees snow. Yet Moscow for being inland gets warmer in summer and is often in the 30C's. Europe is full of mountains comparable or better than America's best, the Alps is just one range. It is the best known and therefore most frequently visited. Some of these mountain ranges are inland and have a colder more continental climate very similar to America's inland mountains. Scandinavia, the biggest range in Europe is obviously very cold.

In terms of snow quantities. There is no difference between snow quantities in North America and Europe. The stats are very misleading. Most American resorts give snow readings from high in the mountain whereas in Europe the snow reading is purely for the resort, i.e the village. The snow could be double or more actually up in the mountain. For example Vail in Cororado will give an average annual snowfall of 9metres but the village is 5.5 which is an average score for the European Alps. Furthermore Europe still has a 12metre resort and several over 10 which will only be a fraction of the actual snow up fall up in the mountains.

Realistically, the only place in America where you will likely find more snow than Europe is Mt Baker / Mt Rainer in Washington State. The snowfall there is massive!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bios weather home weather station parts [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to replace the wind turbine for my wireless weather station, as ours broke due to heavy snow. Where can I get a replacement? Please advise Thank You Audrey

HK weather [ 2 Answers ]

How is the weather in HK now?

Rockies Inaugural tickets [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 Rockies tickets from the first Rockies game. Mint condition. I once saw a set in a mall. Asking price was $300. Could this really be possible? This was also a long time ago.

Weather [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bios wireless weather station ce1177 without manual can anyone help

View more questions Search