Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubyGM Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Trying to move on from a bad friendship
    Almost two years ago I stopped talking to my best friend and basically gave her the silent treatment. She betrayed me in many ways: She indirectly said she wanted to hook up with my boyfriend. She always put me down directly in front of her friends that I didn't really know. I would always pay for her and buy her things. After spending all my money on her she'd have the nerve to mock me that I shouldn't go out shopping with her if I don't have my own money to spend and she doesn't have enough to spend on me... even when I spend my last on the contents in her shopping bags and she'd spend the gas money I was forced to offer her for driving me to the mall... which she had invited me to go wth her in the first place.

She lied a lot about anything big or small. She'd make up stories of having crazy and wild nights with people that I've heard to have a big partying and popular reputation. Of course when I actually met those 'friends' of hers, they had no idea who she was or even seen her before. They seemed creeped out about her having this supposed friendship with them. I think the fact that I became a friend of theirs and got to expeirence those wild and crazy nights with them pissed her off. But I never bragged and ignored the fact that she made up the stories about them and even tried to get her to hang out with us. I saved her a.s.s. by saying that I confused them with others which she was really talking about; so they forgave her and even wanted her to join us. Though she never liked to join us since she is a really shy and anitsocial person in general. The rare times she did join us she pretty much hid behind me and never spoke to them directly.

BTW she did this about seven times with several well known popular people. I didn't mention her to most of them because I figured it was a lie. And the funny thing is she continued to make up stories until she saw pictures of me with them taken by a mutal friend of ours. Her stories clashed with the fact that I happen to be hanging out with them that night she decided to lie about. I know she felt betrayed and maybe I should have told her that I became friends with them but I didn't want it to get even more awkward.

Well every lie she told me would blow up in her face and in front of me all by accident. She set herself up and I had no idea of truth anymore because she'd make excuse and lie on top the other lie.

The final straw was when she started making up people and give them a profile on myspace and leave really nasty and terrible comments about me on her page. I knew they weren't real people because she'd say they were former lovers, but then a month later she'd tell me they were half sisters or that she just met them at some crazy rave party. I know these people weren't real because of all the contradicting lies she'd make up about them.

I tried confronting her but not in a mean way. I wanted to know what was going on and I was concern of her life. Maybe she went through something that I should know about. Maybe those popular people were her friends and did something awful to her (Some have been known to do awful things to people on purpose) and just deny ever knowing in order not to get in trouble. I really was concern for her. But all she did is deny it and acted as if she never said what she had told me.

I was really confused. I didn't know how to react. She just denied everything she had talked to me about in the past three in a half years of our friendshp; even a story she told me a day ago! She also denied being malicious to me in front of her friends. I attempted to talk to her three times and each time would result the same. She even denied the three attempts I made to confront her. I know some people can be desperate enough to deny things they've said in the past but when you deny the entire act of telling someone a lie that's just a little unstable.

Looking back, its just really disturbing. We still have mutal friends and they even tell funny stories that she told them about some big crazy thing... that in fact happened to me and I told her about it. So now she's living my life and repeating my stories as hers to everyone. Most of our friends figured it out on their own especially when they were there with me when so and so happened. They think it's really creepy and even though I never talked to anyone about why I stopped hanging out with her they found out on their own about all the stories she made up about her and them. I think she thinks that I'm the one exposing her lies when she's doing it to herself. That's why I really don't want to attempt to even talk to her.

Don't get me wrong I honestly pretend that she doesn't exist or that I know her even when she's there. I go on with my night or just mingle at parties we're both at. I don't want drama. Though she continues to try to get my attention and tries to get other friends to get me to talk to her. I just pretend I can't hear them because if the loud music or my friend sense what's going on and pretend they need me to see something or just rudely interrupt drunkenly and change the subject. I'm angry that she has to involve everyone; even my friends in her s.h.i.t.

It's an annoying situation. She was the one who was out to get me and even made several comments through out our friendship that she didn't really like me but would then say I'm her best friend and like her sister and so thankful I was always there for her. So I took the hint and left now she wants me back? Should I continue ignoring her? She doesn't seem to give up even though it's been almost two years since we last spoke. Or should I just make one last final confrontation and tell her to just let me be?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 11:57 AM

Doesn't sound like a very good friend. Why not make new friends?

There's no need for you to suffer. There are 6+ billion other people in the world.
    Glove And Gavel Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Feb 25, 2010, 08:07 PM

Agreed.
    If she's willing to hang on for 2 years -- it's because she thinks she can take further advantage of you. Learn from this experience and move on.
    Cyberstar Posts: 33, Reputation: 16

Mar 18, 2010, 05:49 PM

It's both normal and healthy to distance ourselves from people who cause us pain and / or discomfort.

Don't put yourself through that drama again.
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

May 4, 2010, 04:57 PM

She doesn't deserve you as a friend. She obviously needs help but more help than you can give her. Hell, you've been trying to help her for years and all she did was go against you.

Continue to ignore her and eventually, her own lies will tear her apart (not a good thing) but she needs a reality check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very confused about a Woman Friendship/More/Friendship then more? [ 4 Answers ]

So a few months ago a Woman started to talk to be at work and come to see me everyday, I never really noticed her before but after she took interest in me, I obviously did. All my work colleagues started to say that she likes me and that it is obvious and that I'm blind not to see it, I brushed...

I can't move my left eye ball completely as I can move right so it looks bad [ 1 Answers ]

Doctor says musscle problem do u sugggest me... becose I'm actor

I want to Move out. But I feel bad for my mom [ 7 Answers ]

Hey people! Well, I'm a 22 years old girl,I'm only child and I live with my parents, and I really really want to move out,because I don't like the place where I live,and I really want to more independency, I already have a great job and money enough to move,but my biggest problem is my Mom,she...

Is this a bad mommy move? [ 27 Answers ]

My daughter is quite the tomboy. She's a big explorer, not big on t.v. loves her cat, and loves to put on my clothes and play in dirt. There's one thing she does that I am unsure of... she likes to go IN the dryer. She opens the door and just climbs right in. I'm not really bothered by it,...

Bad Decision Ruins a Friendship [ 7 Answers ]

I am friend with a man with whom I work. We spend a lot of time together and recently became intimate. This was against my better judgement as he is married. I feel very guilty about that. The thing is that it stopped abruptly and I felt rejected. Again, any normal person would have thanked...

View more questions Search