Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 12:29 PM
    Car crash (bump)
    I had a little bump with another car today,

It wasn't a bad crash, his bumper is broken a bit at one end, including the parking sensor, and there's practically no damage to mine, minus a bit of paint trading and a clip popped out of my bumper where they collided. Both cars were still drievable afterwards and nothing had actually come off the cars.

The 'crash' wasn't my fault to be honest I was a fair distance away from the car in front and when I tried to stop since the reoad was covered in black ice, stopping was a luxory I couldn't afford :(

I haven't told my insurance company yet as their office is closed for the day, but ill ring them tomorrow as soon they open.

Other than informing my insurance company about it, is there anything I should be looking out for? I've never been in a crash with another person before and am not really sure how things get sorted out?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Did you exchange details with the other driver ?
    In all honesty I would wait and see if the other driver wants to progress a claim, as they may not.

Remember this is a UK claim ;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Did you exchange details with the other driver ?
    In all honesty I would wait and see if the other driver wants to progress a claim, as they may not.

Remember this is a UK claim ;)
    Ah yes we did exchange details, actually the driver is a friend of mine

Even if he doesn't want to, I think his mum might as its her car, and she gets it back today (last day he was allowed to have it) :o

So you think I shouldn't inform my insurance company? But wait till the driver contacts me or my insurance company? I hadn't thought about that,
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
    In cases like this I wait for the other party to start the ball rolling. After all there's nothing to report on your vehicle.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:08 PM

Well, nothing I've noticed so far, steering feels a bit loose but that might be me being a bit overly suspicious after it having no affect on the ice :)

Superficial yeah just a bumper clip is now on the outside, but if I bent my bumper a I might be able to force it back under, and a little bit of a seal around a headlamp has been moved back a bit.

When you say start the ball rolling, what do you suppose would happen if this ball started rolling,

e.g. would they contact my insurance company and theyd contact me to get my side of the story and where would that lead, do you suppose?
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
    They'd contact their agent and their agent would contact you.
    In that case just give an honest account of the situation.

That's it really.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:13 PM

Reet, OK, thanks :)

So I suppose if they do make a claim ill be hearinging about it by Monday latest
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
    May take a few weeks as insurance companies are really sloooooooooooooooooow.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:27 PM

That's good news, better make a note somewhere about the time of day and anything else, I also took pictures of both cars just in case :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:05 PM

Just an update:

Doesn't look too good :(

My parents are a bit pissed about the car but was accident so they OK in the end. Waiting to hear back about how much the damage will cost, looking at £500+ the mounting for the bumper onto the body is bent and broken so needs replacing with the new bumper and there is a scratch and dent in the side panel above the wheelarch which we didn't see before (prob where the paint came from that was on your car). Also we think that the reversing sensor is actually broken, not just a case of remounting it.

Quite a lot of damage for such a pathetic slow crash lol musta been like 5mph. Just glad the airbag didn't go off lol, now that would have sucked.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 02:35 PM

Another update, just got a text that apparently it's a write off as the chassis is bent apparently and would cost 2,000 pounds to repair more than the car is worth, the crash was tiny,
    I took pics,
    My car is fine

I smell bullsh1t
    Is there anything I can do to confirm this as I think they might try and get me to pay or something I don't know?
    BossMan

Mar 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
    I believe you can ask for an independent assessment to be done, I know the AA and RAC offer this service.

Oh yeah modern cars DON'T have chassis at all, they are monocoque design ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 04:39 PM

I suspect that maybe the damage wasn't done by me but done previously (or afterward) and now they have an excuse to get rid and get money back by claiming on my insurance.

As I mentioned my car has minimal damage the plastic bumper isn't broken at all so I don't see how I could have bent the chassis, their car is a 51 plate so I'm not sure how modern you mean.

So presuming that they do claim this on my insurance

My insurance would contact me?
    Could I send them the pictures, as well as ask for an independent assessment to determine if the bump we had caused the chassis to bend?
    BossMan

Mar 5, 2010, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    i suspect that maybe the damage wasnt done by me but done previously (or afterward) and now they have an excuse to get rid and get money back by claiming on my insurance. Sounds reasonable

as i mentioned my car has minimal damage the plastic bumper isnt broken at all so i dont see how i could have bent the chassis, their car is a 51 plate so im not sure how modern you mean. That would be a modern car so monocoque design

so presuming that they do claim this on my insurance

my insurance would contact me? Yes
    could i send them the pictures, as well as ask for an independent assesment to determine if the bump we had caused the chassis to bend? Yes especially as it's a pack of lies
    Commented
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Thanks for replying

Their car is like this car, same colour, make and model
    A Nissan Micra Activ (3 Door Hatchback),

It isn't exactly the modern design for the micra, as you can see

Would you still recommend waiting for my insurance company to contact me as before or in light of hearing them writing it off, contact my insurance company myself?

Sorry if I seem unsure and questioning, but you can understand where I'm coming from right? I don't want to get screwed as it seems like that's what might be going on here.
    BossMan

Mar 6, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Yep NO chassis in that at all.

Until you have official notification that that is indeed the case, you don't have anything to do.
    Being told, via text, and having a letter are 2 entirely different things ;)

Might be worth informing your insurance company that this is the case, but you are awaiting a letter confirming this fact.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 06:10 AM

Reet, thanks again :)

Any more information and ill post here to keep updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Car crash [ 9 Answers ]

Recently I was hit by another car, it was T bone , I was driving straight, and it was yield for another car. But the driver did not stop and I got hit on passenger side. The driver of that car is 32 years old lady, she does not have license, could not show proof of insurance and also not the owner...

I saw my car crash before it happened [ 5 Answers ]

IM the last person I thought would ever post in a thread like this lol.Heres my question! I woke my girlfriend one morning while I was asleep by trying to CRAWL over her.I remembered the dream as soon as she woke me, I told her I was sitting in my car having some lunch with a work buddy, when...

Parked car/moving car crash - who is at fault? [ 13 Answers ]

I was parked in a parking lot. Opened my car door, car speeds into adjacent space, clips my door. Woman exits screaming, crying, hysterical, her husband's wallet has just been stolen, he will kill her etc. Minimal damage to the inside of my door, but it's $550 (just over my deductible) she has a...

Car crash [ 2 Answers ]

Driver one is traveling south on rt 128, in front is driver two also traveling south. Driver two turns on right directional to exit off highway. Once realizing there is no exit at that point driver two without directional enters back into ongoing trafficin front if driver one, causing driver one to...

Whose fault is this car crash? [ 6 Answers ]

Car A is traveling north. He indicates to turn right into a driveway, and waits next to the centre line for oncoming traffic to clear. Car B traveling south indicates left, and slows to turn. Car A assumes that Car B is also turning into the same driveway, and according to NZ law would have to...

View more questions Search