Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nswoody Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Payne/carrier with no hot air
    I have an electric heat pump. 3 ton Carrier compressor outside. 3 1/2 ton inside unit. Seems to have enough refrigerant. The pipe going into the inside unit is almost too warm to touch. My pressures seem to be fine. The air above the inside fan is registering at the same temp as the air coming out of the ductwork upstairs. No leaks in the ductwork. The air coming out of the unit is only 85 degrees (when outside temp is >50 degrees) but drops down to 70 degrees (when outside temp is < 50 degrees). We put some oil in the unit to try to see if it was a piston that might be sticking. That didn't help. Why would the heat not be transferring from the pipe (incoming at the coil) to the coil? I have cleaned my coils several times. We seem to have good airflow? Could it be that inside piston? I believe it calls for a 73 on the inside piston and the outside calls for a 68? It isn't off by much. We have tried just about everything. Thanks...
    bernie1951 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 05:32 AM

The pressure "seems to be fine" doesn't mean they are fine... Did you weigh in the charge, use the superheat method to charge? Some units are "picky" on their charge. Also the temp it produces will drop when the ambient temp drops as there isn't as much heat in the air, thus the need for backup heat. Do a little more studying on your unit as to operation then approach it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane vs. Payne vs. Carrier - Any suggestions. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I'm in serious need of a new a/c unit after ours died this past weekend. It was a 4 ton carrier, 9 seer, 14 years old. We've gotten 5 quotes & are seriously considering between 2 companies based on quality of prior installations (that's what I hear is most important, not price). All 3...

How to change payne carrier PG8JAA/MAA heating air filter [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Payne/Carrier heating system, Model PG8JAA/MAA. Where, exactly, is the filter(S)?? How to change? --Desperate For Clean Air and Filled With Gratitude For Help in Philly

Carrier forced hot air furance [ 1 Answers ]

Gas fired forced hot air furance pilot light goes out. Sometimes stays lite for a couple of days other times goes out everyday. I relite pilot light w/no problem and it stays lite. When I turn electrical switch back on, I get blow back to where flame shoots out of furance, sometimes blowing out...

Repair manual for Carrier Gas hot air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a repair manual for a 20 yr old Carrier gas hot air furnace... model 58SX080-66-1 Thank You Linda

Payne vs. Carrier [ 4 Answers ]

My Rheem system is on its last legs. The tech recommends Payne, which he says:confused: is the same as Carrier, but less expensive. A Ford is not a Lincoln, so how can this be true? Recommendations?

View more questions Search