Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanneol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 05:15 AM
    How to convert numbers to date in excel
    As I am entering the date format dd/m/yyyy. The output is coming in the form of a number.
    For example.. as I am inputting the date as 10/8/2008, the output that I am getting is 39729. Can you please help me out in this?
    amanneol Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 05:17 AM

As I am inputting the date in the format of dd/m/yyyy. The output that I am getting is a number. Like I am inputting 10/8/2008, the output that I am receiving is 39729. Help me in getting the date that I want to input
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 11:31 AM

The numeric conversion is automatic and required for Excel to be able to properly deal with DATE strings. The problem is that you're SEEING the conversion, it should not be evident.

1) Highlight the cell(s) in question
    2) Press CTRL-1 to open the Format Cell window
    3) Under Category: select Date
    4) Under Type: choose the date format you want to display, there are many

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MS Excel spreadsheet changing numbers [ 4 Answers ]

I have a spreadsheet where I enter credit card numbers, 16 digits. One note, I have the field setup as a custom format, that displays in the custom format as ####-####-####-####. This way it automatically adds the 4 dashes. For some reason, it always changes the last digit to zero. For...

Excel: Convert numbers to date [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using excel 07 and I have a cell containing the number 11291997 which represents 11/29/1997. How can I convert this to a date format. The 11291197 is number formatted. Any suggestions would help, thanks!

How do I convert non-date string to a Date? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - Okay, so here's my issue. I have a non-date string that I'd like to convert to a date format. This is what my non-date string looks like: 2009-01 and 2009-02, etc. I'd like to convert that to Jan-2009 or 01/09 under the date format. Can I do this?

Changing numbers automatically in excel [ 2 Answers ]

I have excel 2000 on my computer and downloaded a free invoice template. Over on the upper right it says invoice and then a blank for you to fill it in. I filled in a number and wanted to know if there is any way to have the invoice number change as I use the invoices without doing it manually?...

Padding numbers in excel [ 2 Answers ]

I have about 500,000 cells on a spreadsheet that all follow a letter and number pattern. There are two patterns that look like this: y124f07 and h67g02. So the first is: Letter, number, number, number, letter, number, number The second is: Letter, number, number, letter, number, number

View more questions Search