Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bigjim1969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 03:41 AM
    Free answers to plumbing questions
    I have 2 super narrow small streams of water always running in my bowl. Is that the flapper?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 06:28 AM
    Hi Jim...

Check inside the tank and see if the water is up to and running into the OVERFLOW TUBE... if it is then you'll need to readjust the water level in the tank by making an adjustment to the toilet fill valve and that will stop the running water.

Otherwise, the flapper will definitely be the culprit here. You can try to remove/replace the flapper and see if that fixes the leak, but be aware that you may also need to replace the entire FLUSH VALVE assembly as some flappers simply will not mate up to an old/worn flush valve... O.K?

Purchase a matching flapper and if that doesn't work then fluidmaster sells a complete toilet repair kit (see image) that will make the job go pretty easy.

Let us know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2010, 08:30 AM

Heck the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. . I would check all this out before paying 50$ for a service call and 50$ a hour thereafter. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOM
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 09:51 AM

Both Mark and Tom gave you excellent advices I am just adding the attachment for info, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free plumbing questions and answers [ 16 Answers ]

Smell from pipes after using sinks and washing machine can not find any leaks the smell comes and goes. Smell is in kitchen and laundry room which is below kitchen

Free answers to physic questions [ 3 Answers ]

A hang glider n and its piolt have a total mass equal to 120kg. While executing a 360 degree turn, the glider moves in a ciricle with 8-m radius the glider speed is 10 m/s what is the net force of the hanging glider .

Free plumbing answers [ 5 Answers ]

I have an 800’ well with a non pressurized tank and a 1 horse jet pump the tank is full to the top and the air control valve seams to be working there is no blockage in the 1/8” lines on the pressure switch or the air control valve. But the pump starts as soon as the water is turned on and runs a...

Free answers to electrical questions [ 1 Answers ]

I was called upon to try and fix a GFCI in a bathroom that occasionally trips. There is a 12/2 20 amp feeder coming into a three gang plastic box. In the box are the GFCI, a single pole switch to a fan, and a dimmer switch to a lighted medicine cabinet. Occasionally, the GFCI trips after you turn...

Free plumbing questions and answers [ 9 Answers ]

When I turned on the hot water in my bathroom sink, nothing came out (the cold worked just fine). I checked the shut off valve, it was open, and all the connections were fine. I also checked all the other faucets in the house, and all the hot and cold worked fine. Is there something else I should...

View more questions Search