Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KSeverson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 01:11 AM
    House training and Crate Training?
    I just rescued a dog from the animal shelter. I'm new to this and have a few questions. He has been good with letting us know at times that he needs to go potty. He has gone a few times outside. But he has also peed and pooped in the house as well. He has only pooped when were gone. But he has peed while we are here. We try to watch and see his sign but he seems to pee suddenly. I've been trying to crate train him and he seemed to like the crate. But tonight we had to work and he was alone for almost 5 hours. We lured him into his crate with treats. He pooped and peed all over his crate and it was a mess to clean up! We took him outside twice before we left but he wouldn't go outside. I did have food and water in the crate for him since we would be gone over dinner time. He has been sleeping in our bed with us. I'm wondering if I make him go in his crate tonight would that help him associate that as his bed and make him not pee or poop in there? Or should we just let him roam free when were gone and he will some day learn to only pee or poop outside? Tomorrow he will have to be home alone for 5 hours again because of work... I'm not sure if I should let him roam free or get him in his crate again? Please help... I'm so new to all this! Thank you
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 08:11 AM

I'm a big fan of the crate for overnight. It's a safe warm place for them to "den up." Leaving it available in the daytime for naps would be ideal, unless you have another animal.

Potty training is a separate issue. It takes time and vigilance. When he starts to squat or hike his leg, put him out even if you get sprayed. When he goes outside, praise and pets and treats out the wazoo. Clean up is a pain, but that's part of the price you pay. I buy 3 quart refills of carpet cleaner spray about every other month.

Congratulations on your new pup and Kudos for rescuing him.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:39 PM

I only crate overnight, not during the day and I have never had an accident in a crate.
    It's just personal preference but I like to leave mine room to roam during the day. I bought a baby gate to block off one part of my house (I use the kitchen) so they don't have *too* much room to get up to mischief, but enough room not to be cramped.
    It might be worth trying this with your dog and just seeing how it goes.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 05:35 AM

I am the exact opposite. I only crate during the day, at night my dogs are free to sleep where they please. Usually on bed room floor. One of mine used to mess in her cage all the time. I stopped giving her food in the cage. Bought a smaller clip on water dish, and we are mess free for a few months now. I have even been able to leave her out while I am gone with no mess or destruction.
    I personally like to crate while I am away, And 5 hours really isn't that long. Most are crated for up to 8 hours. I know with one of mine she didn't like to be rushed with her mornng pees and poops, had to get up 1/2 hour earlier and less food in the mornings. I would try for-going the food in the cage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old english bulldog crate and house training issues! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! We got Rogan at 4 months old from a kennel and I believe he got used to eliminating in his crate and cleaning up after himself as well as eliminating wherever and whenever he wanted. Since we got him 4 months ago, he has improved with housebreaking issues. However, the rule of thumb I heard...

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Rescue peeing in house and crate in spite of training [ 1 Answers ]

We have an 18 mo. Old boxer that is a rescue. We have had him for 2 mo.s. From day one there have been issues with him peeing in our home. We have been treating him as a new puppy from day one. We cannot leave him in the house for longer than 2 hours at a time, this still after 2 months. If we...

Crate Training [ 2 Answers ]

My dog Gizmo is 2 months old and we have had her for about a week. She is crated at night and she has consistently pooped her crate. Multiple times at night. We have used the gate to separate so she has a small space. She sits on her excrement. She is crated next to our other dog so she is not...

Crate training? [ 1 Answers ]

Is crate training a good idea? Do I leave food and with the dog?

View more questions Search