Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timcress100 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2010, 12:17 AM
    What does a Greek silver half-shekel look like on both sides?
    My silver half-shekel of Tyre has Melgarth on obverse and Eagle on prow on reverse.What I need to know is the markings or date marks on the right and left sides of the Eagle.I`m still not sure if this coin is real.It has an A sidewaysM on the right-hand side of Eagle under palm branch.It also has T or PM on the left side over I think Herakules club.It is not round,it`s a-typical and kind of a little bowl shaped.It could be silver or most likely bronze.Melgarth has the long curl down his cheek.Any info on date markings or anything else would be helpful!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Hi, timcress100!

I've moved your question out of Other Money & Services to this forum topic area where it will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by our Coins and Currency Expert, Flying Blue Eagle.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2010, 11:48 PM

I am new to this site.I thought you ASK a question and get an answer.I just need to know if this coin is authentic or fake.I`ve been on the internet and seen a lot of Half-Shekels.None with the date marks of mine.even the fakes or reproductions are copies from the originals,the (date marks)on mine don`t match them.Mine has the (TPOY)inscriptions,or most of it.The Eagle has one wing with Greek AM(M sideways)on the right.I`ve never seen it on the Internet.Any information is helpful.What is it?

Feb 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, timcress100!

I've moved your question out of Other Money & Services to this forum topic area where it will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by our Coins and Currency Expert, Flying Blue Eagle.

Thanks!
    Thanks Clough,I`m new to this.I`m also new to using a computer.I don`t type well or fast.I`m grateful for the feedback.Any info would be helpful. TIM
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Flying Blue Eagle has current documentaion about coins and currency. If he doesn't have the information, then he will seek it out from various resources that he has.

I'm not sure when he'll be along here. He has some health issues and has been in an out of the hospital. But, I do note, that he has been on here in the past several days.

It's just going to take some patience before he gets here. But, at the earliest, I would think that tomorrow during the day would be more likely for him to come around.

I know that he'll be real interested in what you have!

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2010, 01:50 AM

Clough,I am new here.And I`m just going to take a jump.You`re Flying Blue Eagle.And if your not,I hope he gets better with his illness. Tim

Feb 23, 2010, 09:56 PM

I am back trying to get some information on the half-shekel of mine.I had a lot of trouble logging back on this site.I just thought I would try to give some more details on this Half-Shekel.On the left side it looks like a PM over Heracules club.Heracules club looks like it has a feather or something hanging to the right off the top of it.It almost looks like a ZX between the Eagles legs on the ships prow.On the right side under the palm branch it looks like the (date mark)is A sideways M.M open end to right.Left side edge lettering looks like ,AIAZVAV or Y.Right side looks like TVIOV.I could be mistaken,my eyes aren`t great.Please forgive me ,I`m new at this.I don`t really know my way around these sites.I would really appreciate a quick and knowledgeable reply. timcress100
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 10:37 PM
    I did notice that Flying Blue Eagle was on the site, at least for awhile tonight. I'm going to personally let him know about your question.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
    I sent Flying Blue Eagle a private message to alert him to this thread, as well as a copy to you, timcress100. Please let me know on this thread if you received it or not.

I have current books about American coins and paper currency, but not about foreign coins. Flying Blue Eagle has a lot more resources than I do.

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 10:21 PM

Timcrecs100= SORRY I haven't gotten bsack to you sooner, I saw your post last night and I got started on getting you the answers that you requested,this morning; I hope to be able to answer your questions tomorrow night ;Please have pacience:: I have a disk that has about 1200 pages on it and it covers some forign coins ;if I can't find it on there I know three other places to look' HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS;;I wish you had a way to send a picture of it {both SIDES} BEsides myself a lot opf other people would get to see something that they will more then likely ever get to see one of these coins ;; F.B.E.:: CLOUGH =THanks for the EMAIL ALERT ON this post; YOU have a great day aklsdo and GOD BLESS YOU ;;F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 10:43 PM
    God Bless You Too, F.B.E. I'm glad that you're on this!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 09:00 PM

Timcress100=the sheckel of tyre[silver coins-138-126B.C.]#1the obverseof each shekel coin,features the [Graven image of "Melkart" [ Baal] [the greek inscription
    The HOLY and inviolable" and a [date] ;; the annualtax for males 20 yearsold or older was specified as a [HALF SHEKLE};TIM -this is as far as I got today ,I will be back on it in the morning : Where IM going First in the morning is on the east coast and a hour ahead of us .IM hopeing threw them that they will be able to send me a picture of the half shekel[both sides and answer a couple questions for me also} Be back on your question tomorrow night Have a good one and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Feb 26, 2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks for getting back with me.I do wish I could send pictures of this coin.My computer is not set up for it.It looks like other Half-Shekels except for date-marks and feather or leaf on top of Heracules club. Bowl shape and not round. One winged Eagle,wing on right side.Answer this,please.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 09:02 PM

Timcress100- I hope you haven't given up on me yet, I'm still working on it
    I have contatacted a coin collector I know that collects anceint coins ,and I know that he will send email to me about this coin , Im waiting his reply now ,and just as soon as I get his answers I will be on here to give them to you ;; Have a great day and tomorrow and GOD BLESS;; F.B.E.
    Ps -I had put another post answer to you night before last ,but I don't what happen to it because I did not see it tonight ;::: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
    I'm not noting any missing posts, F.B.E. Was it on this thread or on another one?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 07:50 PM

CLOUGH- IT was #12 ABOVE ,It's there tonight.last night when I saw your post to tim, I knew that mine was next when I wrote it the night before last SO I looked for it but could not find it It's there now ,BUT Thsank you for looking for it ,I just wondered , I like your little ending sayings,they are cute.;;YOU AL have a great night and a better tomorrow;AndGOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Mar 1, 2010, 09:50 PM

To F.B.E. This is timcress100 again.I was just wandering if you had anymore info about my half-shekel? Please reply at your convienience.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 08:37 PM

Timcress100-Well I got a certain book in the mail to day I will be looking what I need to get for you and
    Check on how to send it with email [pictures HEresstarti COINS first started in 700 BC , BY this time it was either the Chinese or thr Lydians, no one is really sure which was firstthen the Lydians began to grow wealthy
    And it spread to the east wards toward , the PERsians and westword toward the GREEKS.Although the lydians were conquered by the Persians about 550 BC ,then the first coins had reached the HOLY LAND
    Itself,brought by traders from GREECETHEN by the 5th/ century B C coins become widespread throughout the ancient world. The first proper coins minted in the holyland ,come from the city {GAZA}
    TIM ,I'm going to have to finish this tomorrow ,IM about wore out from all day at doctors office, I'm just glad to have the information that I needed:: IM learning from this also because I never got into the anceint coins this much,so I am enjoying this very much , Good night ,Have a great day tomorrow and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Mar 12, 2010, 11:37 PM
    That`s it? I have`nt been on the computer for a while, but I was expecting a little more information. I would still like information on this coin I have. I think you still have the decriptions of my coin on your computer.Bowl shaped,not round,Melgart and Eagle .Eagle seems like it has 1 wing on right side. I would really appreciate any information! Tim Cress [email protected]
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 11:05 PM

TimCress100-I'M sorry you feel that way , When I got home from doctors and checked mail box the book I have been waiting for was in there; I oppened it and started reading threw it to get information out to send to you and I wrote and gave you some of it ,and said I would give you more tonight I have been reading the book again tonight since we got home, and we got home between 10 and 11 and here it is five after 1am;; I will get it done tomorrow; Have a good night ,GOD BLESS F,B,E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is...

Applying for retrieval of Greek birth certiface from Greek Consulate Sydney [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My father needs to apply for the retrieval of his Greek birth cetificate at the Greek consulate in Sydney. Does he need to be present, or can a family member apply for it on his behalf? Thanks:)

How does a 2nd Generation Greek American get Greek Citizenship? [ 3 Answers ]

My parents were born in the United States, but all of their antecedents were born in Greece (or Turkish-held Greece -- Samos). Although my command of the language is very limited, I do have a Greek baptismal certificate and knowledge of Greece's history and culture. I am 56 and would like to...

View more questions Search