Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophie722 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Creepy Doctor
    Hello,
    I am a victim and am seeking answers and a possible solution. While examining me, my doctor went through my purse. I went in complaining of a sinus infection and found it odd that he would have me lay on my right side while he prodded at my back. He asked unrelated repetitive questions. I heard something unzip, some rifling (minute or 2) and another zip. I quickly sat up and saw him tossing my purse onto a chair. This cause my coat along with my purse to fall off the chair. He nervously handed me my coat and left the room. When confronted, he denied everything. I called 911 and filed a police report, but an arrest was not possible. I am concerned that there are MANY unsuspecting victims out there.

My question is: Is there a law stating that a physician must have a nurse present when examining a patient? (My friends have always had a nurse in the room during their doctor's visits.)

Any complaint by a patient would result in a "he said, she said" argument.

I am sick over this and cannot accept that there is no solution. How can I go about resolving this?

I have written those who deal with medical misconduct, posted blogs, filed a claim with my insurance, but I am afraid that nothing will come of this. If they know they can get away with this atrocious behavior, then what is to stop them from acting on these perverted impulses?

PLEASE HELP.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 26, 2006, 11:28 AM
    I would like to offer this -- you are not alone in confronting others in their outrageous and unacceptable behaviors. You have done all that you can which is sadly more than most would do. It was the right thing too, despite how it looks at the moment. The police visit is on record and should the doctor turn up with ummmmm "other complications", it will come up. What you might not realise is there is a solution in the works and you were a part of it, but it may take some time before the solution is reached. We are living in strange times where cause and effect are a bit disconnected. I know I am a bit frustrated by the relaxed nature of our culture too but even that may be an all-in-good-time kind of change on its way to better things. In the meantime know that your keen awareness served you well and will continue to. What helps me when my patience seems to run thin in this way is to remind myself on a big picture basis that "good as but one enemy and that is evil, but evil has two enemies, that of good and of itself." I hope that helps a little.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2006, 02:25 PM
    I am a bit confused.

What exactly did he do?

From what I gather he looked in your purse? While that was not right, how is that a crime? Did he take something from your purse or what?

And no, a nurse does not have to be present when you are being examined.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 26, 2006, 03:44 PM
    You can file a report with the AMA also.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Nov 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
    I am also confused. The way you described it, you really has no proof that the Dr. went through the pursue. You could be possibly wrong. But if you must, the only thing you could have done is to file a report which you did. As more reports are filed against him, police may take things seriously and may start an investigation. In that case, you would be vindicated. However, if you are the only one who submitted the report, this would be ignored.

A confusing thing about your post is that you would call "911" instead of calling local policy. 911 these days are for emergency involving injury and serious crime, etc.. You also have "written those who deal with medical misconduct, posted blogs, filed a claim with my insurance," etc.. Aren't you tad overreacting? Could it be possible?
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 15, 2007, 01:24 PM
    File a report with the American Medical Association. Call the local Better Business Bureau to report his unethical actions. Send a letter to the local paper, if they'll let you. A nurse doesn't have to be present, but if you ask for one for your comfort level, they should always comply. If not, don't go back. If there are other doctors at the clinic, call them and let them know your side of the story. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Sadly, doctors sometimes take advantage of their patient's trust. Another thing- was he asking you any questions about cigarettes, perscriptions, etc? My friend lied to her doctor and said she quit smoking and didn't. He asked her if he were to look in her purse, would he find cigs. She then admitted she did. Could he have thought you were lying for some reason about meds that you were on or something? It still is no excuse, but maybe there was a misunderstanding if you were a new patient. Could he have mistakenly thought you took something out of the office? Either way, he's a jerk. Check with friends and relatives to find a good doctor.
    robin4vick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Stop and think about the situation... maybe your purse was on the table in the way and he had trouble closing the zipper and then tossed it and it fell. Then he felt uncomfortable about the situation.. there are a lot of problems out there that can cause sinus problems.as a side effect.

But if you feel it is like you said... and you were uncomfortable... remember.. a person may be older than you or in a position of authority... but you have the right to ask for a female nurse with you in an exam room.

I agree calling 911 especially in the daytime under those situations, is uncalled for.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie722 View Post
    ... I am sick over this and cannot accept that there is no solution. ...
    Oh, there is a solution. Get another doctor. Clearly the police did not feel that there was sufficient evidence to prosecute him (for attempted theft, I imagine). But relax. Apparently nothing was taken. So relax, you are not really damaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mid-Late 80's Creepy Animated Show/Film [ 3 Answers ]

I thought I'd throw in a movie that's been budding me for well over a decade. I tried searching for it for no avail and I found an decent description from some other poor soul that can't remember the name either. Please help me from going insane by telling me the title. All I remember is that one...

Want a key for spyware doctor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I have searched for spyware doctor3.2 for windows serial but I could not found any can you help me? :o

Question on any doctor [ 1 Answers ]

As I understand, medical doctors receive hundreds of free sample medications from drug companies. I hear that sometimes they are overwhelmed with the free drugs. I know that doctors often give them to their patients. However, do doctors often have excessive medicine that they have no purpose for?...

What kind of doctor can tell me if I got Hypocluecemia.. [ 1 Answers ]

Last fall/winter I got really depressed. I ended at a psych. At my family runs diabetes. And I have an aunt with hypoglucemia... so one day I felt very dizzy and feel like hell. I also get a panic attack. I ate and everything went normal again. Like for a long time I had been thinking I got either...

View more questions Search