Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinz2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
    How do I train my 11 week old male shih tzu?
    OK so I have never had a small size puppy and I thought it would be easy to potty train him but not at all... I take him out every hour or half and he has no problem peeing as soon as we get outside but even after he pees I stay out side with him for 10 minutes or so hoping he will poop but it doesn't happen so I take him inside and the first thing he does when we get in is poops! And its always like that pattern and I try to keep him out longer and I put his nose next to it to smell it and he knows its bad and puts his tail down but what more can I do>>? Please help
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
    You really need to ask this question in the 'Dog' forum:) You would get a lot of answers:D
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 02:35 PM

First things first... dogs don't understand the concept of 'rubbing their nose in it'
    I don't know how this training method started, but I wish everyone would forget about it.

I'm going through potty training myself at the moment... we are still having some accidents in the house but we are getting better.
    If mine doesn't go poop outside then I watch him like a hawk when I bring him back in. There are usually warning signs that a puppy is about to poop (arched back, sniffing, running in circles etc) if he looks like he is scouting out a spot to poop pick him up and race him outside as quick as you can.

If he seems to poop as soon as you bring him back in, leave your back door open and just follow him around for a few minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Usual lifespan of male shih tzu [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering what is the usual lifespan of a male shih tzu

How to house train a 2 year old Shih Tzu [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a dog from a friend who did not walk the dog and let her pee and poop all over her house. I thought that just walking her twice a day would solve the potty problem but I've found that right after we have walked her she will poop in the house. We have limited her diet to dog food...

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

Is it too late to potty train my shih tzu? [ 5 Answers ]

I have paper trained my shihtzu puppy , but the thing is now he smells so bad.. he smells like pee.. I bath him once a week and he only smells good for 3 days. Now Im going to try to potty train him outside so he won't make the room or himself smells like pee. He's 5 months old now, is it too late...

View more questions Search