Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpotvin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan
    My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch.
    I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up.
    What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire (black wire) at the switch and the black wire ends up being the neutral.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2006, 01:27 PM
    I am guessing you only found two wires inside the switch box, a black and a white, and if the wiring is Romex, a bare wire. I get this from your statement:

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch.

If this is the case, then you do not have a neutral in the switch box, only the feed to the switch, which is white, and the black switch leg back to the light.

You will not be able to make the fan work properly without a neutral at the switch box, and will need to add another feed cable to the switch box, or to the fan. If you bring a feed to the fan, then you can do the same as the light is done, use the two wire you ran and connect to the new switch.

Let me know more detail, I can make up a wiring sketch if needed.

Nov 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Thanks for the info tkrussell.

Would this still be the same if I wanted the fan to be controlled simultaneously with the ligths.
    In other words when the lights are on the fan goes on also.

I hope I was successful in attaching a diagram of what I currently have.

Sincerely,
    Claude
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 12:25 PM
    The sketch seems fine, I am assuming the white and black on the bottom only splice through and do not connect to the light, and the white and black on the top only connect to the light.

I modified the sketch, not as neat as you did, to show what I mean.

Nov 29, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Hi tkrussell.

Thanks for the info.
    Because there is already a wire that has been fished from the exhaust fan into the light switch would you suspect that the following rendition be OK?

Please see attached.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Nope, will not work at all, you now have the fan motor is series with the light, the light bulb will be about half brillance, and the fan motor will either hum or turn very slowly.Yoo have no choice but to bring the fan cable to the light.

Sorry. If you like give your method a try, see if I am right.

Nov 30, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Thanks tkrussell. Your help was greatly appreciated.

Have a great X-Mas.

Sincerely,
    Claude

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Share bathroom and kitchen exhaust vent [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to put in an exhaust vent for my bathroom in the basement. I have two questions. First, does the roughed in usually have the trap pre-installed for the shower under the floor? Second, Can I run the bathroom vent to the kitchen exhaust pipe and have it run to the outside. In...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Using a furnace blower as exhaust fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the wiring for the blower I have. :confused: One side I have a black, white and red wire which goes to the plug. The other set of wires I have red, white, blue, yellow, and black. What goes with what? Please help me.

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

Electrical Installation of Bathroom Extractor Fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm about to replace an old timer bathroom extractor fan with a modern one. The old one is fed by a three core and earth cable, the third (yellow) core presumably being the connection to the pull cord switch. I haven't yet been into the loft to check exactly how the wiring was installed. ...

View more questions Search