Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    palealien Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Ceiling fan has no reverse switch; running backwards
    I just rescued an old Hampton Bay fan and reinstalled it in my shop. It rotates clockwise only and there is no switch on the motor to change direction. It came with a remote branded "Westinghouse" so it may not be OEM? I have installed many fans and recall some changed directions via reversing a jumper, but I have no diagram. Also it would be quite inconvenient on this model, it came cladded with about ten pounds of ugly aluminum shell.

I know this has come up here before, and I even tried the flipping-power-while-spinning method to no avail. Which would be difficult anyway; it's 10' off the floor.

I would prefer not to guess at the right wire to swap, and doubt a diagram is available, so any input would be appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 11:49 AM

If the flipping power while spinning thing didn't work, either one of two things:

1. There IS a reverse switch on the fan and you just can't find it. This would explain why the reversing trick didn't work, if the reverse switch is hard wired, you can't fool it.

2. We already know it doesn't have the correct remote. So you may have to optain the correct remote for it, which would (possibly) have the reverse button.

It doesn't have pullchains, does it? Where is the receiver mounted?

Feb 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    If the flipping power while spinning thing didn't work, either one of two things:

1. There IS a reverse switch on the fan and you just can't find it. This would explain why the reversing trick didn't work, if the reverse switch is hard wired, you can't fool it.
    No, as I mentioned, I stripped it down to the bare motor, there are only 2 small modules attached to the top surface- they are sealed and there is no external switch.

2. We already know it doesn't have the correct remote. So you may have to optain the correct remote for it, which would (possibly) have the reverse button.
    Yeah, that probably will do it, but since this project has been nearly free so far I was reluctant to do that. If I do, any recommendations?

It doesn't have pullchains, does it? Where is the receiver mounted?
    No. At the moment, the receiver is temporarily wired at the top of the 8' pipe I am hanging it from. Works fine, the light too, just backwards. I tried running AC directly to the motor, no change.

Thanks for the reply! Any other ideas appreciated. Reversing a pair?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:15 AM

Looks like maybe a Capacitor and a Receiver. Swapping the correct 2 wires will likely change direction.
    Some Older Fans didn't have a Reverse, so they made the Blades with adjustable pitch, You could get up or down airflow with out changing motor direction.
    Just gave me an Idea for an Invention if no one makes them is:
    Universal Fan Brackets that allow changing the blade pitch?

Feb 21, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Looks like maybe a Capacitor and a Receiver. Swapping the correct 2 wires will likely change direction.
    Right, any idea which pair?

Just gave me an Idea for an Invention if no one makes them is:Universal Fan Brackets that allow changing the blade pitch?
    Patent pending... :)
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 10:23 AM

Not sure which pair, but someone good with these motors may know resistance test to help determine which pair.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 11:07 AM

This may help, looks like swapping 1 winding of the motor should do it:
    Ceiling Fand wiring Diagrams
    You will need a Meter.

Feb 21, 2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks, first diagram I have seen. Not applicable here, but it'll be useful I am sure. I have seen many set up like these; just not mine.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 09:55 PM

Try swapping pink and yellow.

Feb 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Try swapping pink and yellow.
    Made sense, that's how other motors seem to do it. But: no go, sadly. Might have to give up and take it to a local fan shop. :(
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 02:25 PM

All 3 fan diagrams show reversing 1 winding to reverse direction, resistance checks should show 2 possible pairs to reverse?

Feb 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
    All 3 fan diagrams show reversing 1 winding to reverse direction, resistance checks should show 2 possible pairs to reverse?
    Well, that makes sense- but each diagram specs both a speed switch and a reversing switch- this unit had neither.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by palealien View Post
    Well, that makes sense- but each diagram specs both a speed switch and a reversing switch- this unit had neither.
    It does, they are just hidden among the electronics. The reverse switch will be a DPDT relay with 6 wires going to it.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by palealien View Post
    That's why you're going to need a Meter to measure the resistance of the wires coming from the motor, the windings have continuity with each one, bo no continuity between the windings.
    How many wires are coming from the motor and what color?

Feb 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
    How many wires are coming from the motor and what color?
    Has 7 -

3 white
    Pink
    Gray
    Purple
    Black

It's a bit awkward to work on suspended, but I can give it a shot.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 12:30 PM

I would then eleminate any wires that are to the light. Then look for continuity between all combinations of the wires determined to be fan only.
    If a bulb is in the light remove it to be sure you don't see that resistance.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 04:04 PM

None of the wires he mentions are for the light. Light wire would be blue or orange in a Hampton Bay.

I always advise against this sort of project.

If you can find the relay, then swap wires there. It may be solid state. Look for any place on the circuit board where 6 connections terminate.

Feb 23, 2010, 04:20 PM

Correct about the light. I also can't understand why this would be a big deal- or for that matter, why the fan seems to have been sold hard-wired for updraft in the first place...
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 10:50 PM

It wasn't. The remote that came with the fan has the reverse button. Someone switched it to updraft and it never got switched back.

I can't stand remote fans.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
    You COULD just contact the manufacturer and buy the correct remote with the reverse button.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen a few topics on this so far but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I know the reverse switch is faulty but I am not able to return the fan as it is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement switch to install?

Reverse switch on ceiling fan doesn't work [ 18 Answers ]

My ceiling fan works great even though it looks old. The problem is that it will not reverse for the winter. There is a switch and it works great for summer. It just sits and hums when I switch it over. Do I have to throw out the fan or is there any chance it can be fixed. THanks.

Ceiling fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife & I had two Hampton Bay Miramar celing fans installed in our living room by an electrician. We can't find the owner's manual for these fans to locate the switch on the fan housing that changes the direction the blades turn. The switch isn't in the normal location where Hampton...

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I get a replacement reverse switch for my ceiling fan? I already tried Lowe's

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

View more questions Search