Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    palealien Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    You COULD just contact the manufacturer and buy the correct remote with the reverse button.
    Did remotes at one time control direction? All the aftermarket ones seem to not. Not to mention, I can buy a new shop-grade 52" fan for $39.00, how much less would that be? Kills me.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 02:58 PM

Remotes included with fans usually have a reverse button, aftermarket ones do not.

The $39 shop grade fan will probably be better than this one once it's work.

Personally I recommend spending a little bit more and getting an Envirofan Gold Line for around $150. Better quality fan than anything else on the market, commercial or otherwise.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 03:37 PM

So, you're not going to try the resistance checks?
    I would give the 3 whites a label with a number or letter on a label to help with your resistance test.

Write on Paper:
    W1
    W2
    W3
    Pink
    Gray
    Purple
    Black,
    Then check continuity W1 and W2, then W1 and W3, then W1 an Pink, then W1 and Gray and so on, then drop down to W2 and the colors below W2 as w2/w1 has already been checked.
    Its relatively quick if you write down a list like above.

Feb 24, 2010, 04:53 PM

Right; I get that. But I am not sure what it proves- I have the continuity (~50 ohms) on two pair, so now what?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 07:25 PM

With power off, I would cut a pair that has continuity, reverse wires, then plug back into receiver.
    If you are able to remove the 2 pins from the plug, swap and reinsert, that could work better. (No cutting or Connectors).
    If you don't have a pin extraction tool, a very small screwdriver may work.
    Make note of pin positions before removing.
    On the first page there is 3 fan diagrams, notice each swaps 1 winding for reversing..
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 09:45 PM

USUALLY all white wires connect to the same place.

If you're going to experiment with switching wires around, do it in series with a light bulb. Brighter light = problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 01:37 AM

OK guys.

The two wired thing (capacitor). One side likely goes to power common or power and the other to a winding.

The other side goes to a motor winding. That winding has to be reversed.

I'm suspecting if you removed the connector and put an ohmmeter on one end of the capacitor and probed the motor windings, there will be one and only one connection that will have some resistance.

Swap those two leads.

Before you do, put a 60-100 watt lamp in series with the power of the fan. Verify that the fan works. If the bulb glows appreciably, increase the wattage of the series connected bulb.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 06:25 AM

Ceilingfan, white SHOULD go together, but I have seen white and green used in ceiling fans and they weren't always used as neutrals and grounds?
    Kiss, the 3 diagrams show the winding without the Capacitor to be reversed.
    The 3 diagrams don't accurately show the polarity switch correctly. They show a fan speed switch, not the DPDT that it actually is.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 08:43 AM

Strat:

In a PSC fan there is the simple case of 2 windings and one capacitor. Reverse EITHER winding and you reverse the direction.

Now suppose this fan has a tapped winding for speed. That tapped winding cannot be reversed. You must therefore reverse the winding in series with capacitor.

The winding in series with the cap might be easier to identify and reversing it works in both scenereos.

The reversing switch is one of those old polarity reversing thngs I played with as a kid. The back of a DPDT switch has 6 terminals. Run 2 wires on diagonal corners. And attaché 4 leads: 2 to the center and 2 to one edge.

One pair goes to the winding and the other goes to the where a winding was. And you now have a reversing switch.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 08:57 AM

I figured either winding would work, but since the 3 diagrams shown reverses the pair without the Cap, that couldn't hurt.
    I didn't figure it had any taps, as he only had continuity between 2 pairs(2 windings).
    I agree reversing either pair should reverse direction.
    Hopefully he gets it. I think he's close.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:28 PM

Use at your own risk: Ceiling Fand wiring Diagrams CFG gets mad at me when I post this link.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 12:26 AM

I don't like giving people already in over their heads, more information to encourage them to mess things up when there are simpler solutions.

In this case, there are no simpler solutions. The OP doesn't want to put any money into the fan and it is unusable as is, so he has nothing to lose.

I can't tell him how to (re) wire it without seeing it in front of me. Far too many possibilities. The most common-- switching the pink and yellow-- didn't work.

So you guys can theorize and post diagrams all you want. Worst case scenario his fan gets smoked and he's no worse off. Best case scenario, it works.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 07:28 AM

You're right ceilingfan, sounds like he wants to take a chance, I look at it as a learning experience, he will find what works, or find how esasy it is to smoke a motor. But something will be learned. Anyone can buy a remote.
    palealien, can you tell us which colors has resistance between them?

Feb 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You're right ceilingfan, sounds like he wants to take a chance, I look at it as a learning experience, he will find what works, or find how esasy it is to smoke a motor. But something will be learned. Anyone can buy a remote.
    palealien, can you tell us which colors has resistance between them?
    Yes, white-white and purple-pink. And hey, if I fry it at least I have a reason to give up! I'd prefer to not, though.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 11:55 AM

I would try swapping the pink and purple, pull pins out if possible and swap the 2 wires, on one side of the plug only.

Feb 26, 2010, 12:16 PM

Kaboom!

Just kidding, I'll go give it a shot. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

Good Luck, your Tough.

Feb 26, 2010, 12:55 PM

Strat, success! Thanks a million. I don't know at what but if I can ever return the favor I would be delighted.

Glad to have saved it; this motor rocks. And now I can install a proper rev switch and be good all year.

(Hey, I just watched a Michael Palin travel show about Hemingway- he visits the Keys, among other places. Always wanted to vacation down there.)

Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 01:23 PM

Good Deal, you know how to wire this to a ploarity switch(DPDT)?
    Basically like Kiss mentioned earlier, you cross the corners, attach purple and pink to the center terminals, then the other ends of the pink and purple go to one end of the switch, the other end of the switch will only have the crossing wires.
    I'm in Tavernier, but 90 Miles south at Key West is The Hemmingway House. Years ago, I used to maintain the Security System there.
    I have been in the basement, Was always curious about the things stored there. The age looked like Pappy could have put it their himself.
    And have wondered if their is/was interesting things there, If it has been Flooded, I feel it HAD too within the Last many years, a lot of nice things would be lost.
    I have a good friend, may be close to 80 has won many Hemmingway look alike contest, has most or all of his books.
    Take Care.
    Again, thanks again for hanging in their with the Fan.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 02:20 PM

This was a fun read. Congratulations!

Occaisionally we get some of these motor problems and most are hesitent to help because of sparks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen a few topics on this so far but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I know the reverse switch is faulty but I am not able to return the fan as it is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement switch to install?

Reverse switch on ceiling fan doesn't work [ 18 Answers ]

My ceiling fan works great even though it looks old. The problem is that it will not reverse for the winter. There is a switch and it works great for summer. It just sits and hums when I switch it over. Do I have to throw out the fan or is there any chance it can be fixed. THanks.

Ceiling fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife & I had two Hampton Bay Miramar celing fans installed in our living room by an electrician. We can't find the owner's manual for these fans to locate the switch on the fan housing that changes the direction the blades turn. The switch isn't in the normal location where Hampton...

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I get a replacement reverse switch for my ceiling fan? I already tried Lowe's

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

View more questions Search