Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Is an abused and neglected puppy a ruined dog?
    My sister got a rescued great dane puppy last night. We are wondering how fast she can gain weight and when would be the best time to have her spayed. I'm so angry at her previous owners who were starving her and keeping her in a small cage for days at a time. Here is a pic; her name is Bailey. She seems like such a sweet dog, smart too. She learned how to 'sit' right away. We are hoping she is not ruined from her neglect and abuse. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
    Attached Images

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 08:21 PM

Id say first on the list is to get the dogs health back to where it should be. Then think about spaying. Do you know the approximate age ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 08:22 PM

Looks like she's having fun and your right, she needs some weight. Sad, the way she was treated.

Feb 18, 2010, 08:23 PM

She is just a week shy of six months

Feb 18, 2010, 08:23 PM
    She had so much fun with the kong toy I got for her today
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 08:27 PM

I personally have had two Great Danes. They are really great dogs, and I recommend them for anyone to own. They do however respond very sensitively to harsh treatment, and get skittish when mistreated, or especially struck. I have seen this firsthand with a couple that were adopted by a friend. They don't get aggressive, they just lose trust in the abuser. I feel with time, love, affection, and a good diet, this dog will be just fine. Make it know that the new owner is loving and worthy of trust. I would be particularly careful with quick movements around it.

They will never forget being mistreated, but it is not a lost cause by any means.

Good luck.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 18, 2010, 08:31 PM

A vet can probably recommend the best possible diet to get her up to weight. They can also recommend the best time to get her spayed.

As far as being ruined, I don't think so. From what you've said, and the picture, she doesn't seem skittish or mean. To me, those seem like the hardest behaviors to overcome, and the most potentionally dangerous. If she's treated right and shown love, I think she'll be a very good pet. Love can override a lot of neglect and abuse with most animals.

Feb 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I personally have had two Great Danes. They are really great dogs, and I recommend them for anyone to own. They do however respond very sensitively to harsh treatment, and get skittish when mistreated, or especially struck. I have seen this firsthand with a couple that were adopted by a friend. They don't get aggressive, they just lose trust in the abuser. I feel with time, love, affection, and a good diet, this dog will be just fine. Make it know that the new owner is loving and worthy of trust. I would be particularly careful with quick movements around it.

They will never forget being mistreated, but it is not a lost cause by any means.

Good luck.
    Yes, she is very skittish. My sister brought her to my house this evening and I had to lower my blinds because the sun was setting and it scared Bailey. I had to lower the blinds very slowly. She is sweet and gentle, but gets scared easily.

Feb 18, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post

Good luck.
    She got pretty scared when I lowered my blinds today... I have 9 windows on the main floor that I use blinds on and had to lower. She did not get mean, she just acted scared like she thought it might fall on her. So I talked softly to her and did them all very slowly and she was OK. I like her a lot already :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 08:39 PM

At that age getting the dog spayed is top of the list right after being healthy enough. Don't want to wait too long as urges could set in.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 08:53 PM

Thank you for taking in and being a friend of one of God's creatures.

GOD BLESS
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:42 PM

It is sad to see that a dog can and was treated like bailey was. With time, commitment and working slow I bet she would make a wonderful dog. I do agree that getting her to the proper weight is first on the list and spaying second. She seems like she's not aggressive which is good.. thank the goddess someone like you guys came along for her and are giving her the love she deserves
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 05:47 AM

WOW congrats! She looks beautiful! I am surprised for a resuce she wasn't already spayed... Grey Hounds are a wonderful dog!
    In my opinion rescues, abandoned or abused are NOT ruined! They will always remember their past. But with the right people they will excel to be marvelous dogs. I would reccomed getting her into obiedience classes. Clicker classes preferably. It takes a little extra time and patience, but they can make awesome family pets. Obeidience classes will help boost her self confidence and promote bonding between the your sis and her new baby.
    God belss your sister for wanting to save her! She looks gorgeous! With a little love and care she will put on a few pounds, but to be honest for a grey hound she doesn't look TOO under weight. By guessing at her age, I would say it is safe to spay anytime now, but she should really take her to the vet for a once over, just to make sure there are no worms and such.
    Good Luck! :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 06:43 AM

I'd consult your vet on the best way to get her weight up safely. As a giant breed, you don't want to stress her growing frame by putting on a lot of weight at once.

Exercise should be built up slowly too if she has been confined for a long time.

Keep in mind that if she hasn't been socialized or exposed to many new things, she will be skittish. Part of it may stem from the abuse. Part of it from just not knowing what is going on. Give her some time to get adjusted to her new life and some of the 'fear' reaction may take care of itself.

She is so pretty. She is going to be a gorgeous Great Dane when she matures.

Thank your sister for taking in this wonderful animal. :)
    Dogs Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 06:54 AM

Tell you sister to invest in a Martain Gale collar. Oh and maybe a new leash too? :p
    Marriage Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    WOW congrats! She looks beautiful! I am surprised for a resuce she wasn't already spayed... Grey Hounds are a wonderful dog!
    She's a Great Dane. :)
    Dogs Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 07:00 AM

LOL oops.
    Sorry, it's Friday...
    Dogs Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Regardless they are both wonderful dogs :D
    Marriage Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Regardless they are both wonderful dogs :D
    Yep, they are. :D

Feb 19, 2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone! We will be calling for a vet appointment today. She was rescued FROM the actual previous owner, that is why she isn't spayed or anything. I say the previous owner is lucky we didn't call the humane society on them. They wanted her to pay $350.00 to take her. I said they should pay US to not turn them in to the police for curelty, abuse, and neglect of an animal.

We know giant breeds need some special care and don't want to stress her bones by causing her to gain too fast, or exercise her too much right away... but, she is so sweet and she already loves us so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

Abused dog [ 7 Answers ]

We just got a 5 month old aus cattle dog from a person who has keppt her and 2 sisters in a 3 by 3 pen all their lives they were laying in their own feces and urine when we took her. She is so skittish it is hard to get her to come to us and we have to carry her outside. My hoa does not allow...

I rescued an abused puppy and need assistance [ 3 Answers ]

Good day, Sunday afternoon I rescued (my terms) a mini aussie from a breeder who in my opinion treated the puppies horribly. After 4-5+ hours of lots of love and affection. My 9 month old new puppy finally was able to take a few steps. I'm almost certain this animal was locked in a small...

How would I know if a child is being abused or neglected [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée has a 5 year old daughter whom lives with her mom and stepdad. We get her everyother weekend. And usually when its our weekend she ends up staying for almost a week at a time because her mom doesn't even bother calling and checking on her. Each time she comes over she has head lice,...

Training an abused adult dog [ 3 Answers ]

About a year ago I received an energetic 3yr old maltese. I could clearly tell she was abused. Anytime you bent over her to pet her she put her head to the floor and either shook like crazy or peed. She also never used to play with toys or really interact with people. Now she loves toys and has way...

View more questions Search