Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biggiedachsie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 10:28 PM

Thank you for taking the time with this.
    I'll be contacting the court.
    I still can't believe they didn't show. The guy lives in the same city and the lawyer's office is near the court where this was held.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2010, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggiedachsie View Post
    Thank you for taking the time with this.
    I'll be contacting the court.
    I still can't believe they didn't show. The guy lives in the same city and the lawyer's office is near the court where this was held.
    I'm also surprised, this is not the usual case of a junk debt buyer. I'm sorry, but I think this guy would have won the case. Your daughter sold him a car she was not legally entitled to sell. A leased car is owned by the leasor, not the leasee. Unless she used the proceeds of the sale to buy out the lease she could be charged with fraud or car theft.

How long ago did this happen?
    biggiedachsie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 07:15 AM

The sale was in May, 2006.
    Chrysler says all but about 3000 was paid off, and according to my stepdaughter, the guy was to have gone to the dealer for the final payment and paperwork to finalize sale. He never showed to do that. At the time of the "sale", she was employed as a salesperson at a dealership. I've gotten a lot of info since this all came to my attention, and most of it is questionable at best.
    I'm fully aware that a car is stilled owned by the leasor, that's why I don't understand how she got this whole thing going and almost done.
    The guy was gullible enough to hand her a down payment check for $5,000, then another for over $21,000, on the promise (and a signed contract between the two of them) that when the final payment was made, she would get the title and sign over to him. I guess he thought since he had a contract, all was good. Evidently, she did that, then failed to follow through on the final portion of the deal. Her fault, and his, but I got caught in the middle w/o even being aware until recently.
    Another reason I'm "peaved".
    Scott, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I got on here looking for answers, because I can't afford a lawyer. This has helped calm me down somewhat, since I've been very worried from the onset of the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default judgment placed against me [ 15 Answers ]

I live in NY State and I have a default judgment placed against me. It was placed against me while I was incarcerated. Because of this, I could not answer or appear before court to respond, therefore plaintiff won by default. What rights to do I have to fight this judgment stemming from a...

Judgment default [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:I have a credit card judgment against me in Texas I am making payments not sure if I can keep making payments.I am buying my home and my car if I default on my payment plan what can happen ?

If a judgment was dismissed can I be sued again for it? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I went to court for a old credit card that was bought by a collection agency that found I was on SS Disability and non garnishable.I asked for prof this was my acct. an did not say it was mine,anyway the judge gave them 30 days to show it was. Friday I received a letter stat they filed for...

Default judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in MA since 8/1998, previously having lived in NY. I just (10/2006) received notification of wage garnishment order (income execution) based on a default judgment for an old debt ($2611). The 'entry date' for the default judgment was July 2003, but this was the first I'd heard about...

View more questions Search