Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mafs30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Is there social security tax deduction based on Dependent ?
    Is there social security tax deduction based on Dependent or based on Income ? We both are working in FL.Income above 100K.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:19 AM

It's a percentage of income up to a certain dollar amount.

"If you work for an employer, 6.2% of your wages is withheld and your employer deposits the withholding, along with its 6.2% matching contribution, with the government for the Social Security programs. In 2010, the employee tax and matching contribution stop after the first $106,800 of wages. In addition if you work for an employer, 1.45% of your wages is withheld and the employer makes a matching 1.45% contribution to the Medicare program, making the total withholdings at 7.65% (6.2% OASDI and 1.45% Medicare). However, all wages are subject to the Medicare tax; there is no ceiling."

Social security tax - who pays it?
    mafs30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 12:02 PM
    So its nothing to do with dependent Size right ?

. I am working for company so my employer is paying their part

Thanks for answer me

-tejas
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mafs30 View Post
    So its nothing to do with dependent Size right ?

. i am working for company so my employer is paying their part

thanks for answer me

-tejas

Yes, if you read what I quoted it's a percentage of income and NOTHING else.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Both Social Security and Medicare are true FLAT taxes. Each employee pays 6.2% to Social Security and 1.45% to Medicare.

Social Security has a cap of (I believe) $106,400, whereas Medicare has no cap at all.

PREDICTION: The Social Security cap will eventually be removed, probably before the end of the Obama Administration, because it is the only really viable method of keeping the Social Security Trust Fund from going bankryupt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother as a dependent on Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

Mother: My daughter filed me as a dependent on her income tax return 2007. She called IRS and the representative said that she could put me on her tax rebate. When they sent her rebate this morning she only received $900 instead of the full $1200. I am 68 years and I am on Social Security. I would...

Dependent tax deduction [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend moved to the US in August 2007 to study. Since then I've supported her including tuition. She has no income in 2007. She doesn't even have a ssn. Can I claim her as a dependent on my 2007 tax returns and claim tuition deduction for the tuition I've paid for her. Thanks Rahul

Tax deduction on dependent [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently on an H1b visa (for last 7 months) and my brother is under F1 visa ( 1month). I am paying for his tuition and was wondering if I can claim tax deduction based on the fact that he would be considered a dependent under me. Also, do I have to file any documents to make him as a...

Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Currently, I work for a company in my OPT. But somehow I know my employee should not deduct my Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, the problem is that I just can't figure out which publication and where of the IRS noticed that. I checked the former thread that the tax expert mentioned...

View more questions Search