Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowlit Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 09:11 AM
    What is penalty for not responding to a civil action notice. Was left a notice
    What is the penalty for not responding to a civil action notice, just a piece of paper left on my door. I call the number and they said they could not deliver it to me the next day so it had to go back to the lawyer. It is one month later and a second notice was in my mail box. Just a piece of paper with a telephone number on it. Will I be penalized for not responding. Do they already have a court date? I live in PA. The notice I think has to do with a contractor.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:16 AM

What does the notice say? Summons? Subpoena?

Feb 18, 2010, 09:21 AM

It says Official Notice of a civil action complaint that has been filed againt me with a docket number and a phone number to call. They want me to call the number so that they can continue to effect the service of the complaint.

Feb 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlit View Post
    It says Official Notice of a civil action complaint that has been filed againt me with a docket number and a phone number to call. They want me to call the number so that they can continue to effect the service of the complaint.
    It says Official Notice of a civil action complaint.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 09:29 AM

At some point, they will set a court date and have a trial even if you don't show up. So you will merely lose and they will win any and everything they are asking for.

Feb 18, 2010, 09:42 AM

Don't they have to serve me papers first.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2010, 09:54 AM

Does it mention a court?

Feb 18, 2010, 09:58 AM

No. Just that a civil action complaint has been filed with the sheriff's department. No court date.

Feb 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
    No. Just that a civil action complaint has been filed with the sheriff's department. No court date.
    Just a phone number to call. Monday through Friday and if I am not the person the department is looking for please let them know.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:15 AM

Then I would call the number.

Did you answer my question about what State? The procedure varies.

Feb 18, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Call the Sheriff''s Dept. This sounds like a ploy to get you to call. A real summons would include a court.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 11:30 AM

Similar question was posted not too long ago. I remember because I insisted it was invalid without additional info.

Turns out that PA sends out notifications in this form (they are personally served) concerning arbitration, particularly arbitration by contract.

Need the wording of the notice - when OP gets it.

Feb 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
    What is arbitration by contract. Am I legally bound to respond.

Feb 18, 2010, 05:48 PM

You are legally bound to respond to an official court summons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice of action letter [ 4 Answers ]

What is a Notice of Action letter, my property is in pre-foreclosure? Thank you.

UK Penalty Charge Notice (Parking Fine) [ 9 Answers ]

Hey everyone! Ok, so here's my snag I was wondering if anyone has any idea about, I'd appreciate any comments! So, I parked on double-yellow lines outside my house, like I do every weekend, normally without incident! (I know it's naughty, but I normally get away with it! :p ) Anyway, I...

Civil action hearing notice [ 3 Answers ]

I received a civil action hearing notice for a past due credit issue. 1.Can they make me come up with the whole amount at once and not accept monthly installments? 2. Can they take it out of my paycheck without me allowing it? 3. Can they make me sell items in my home to come up with the...

Further action after 30 day notice has been ignored [ 5 Answers ]

I have rental property, that I have had a family in for almost a year. They have not paid rent in several months. 30 notice has been served, ignored and 10 day notice served, ignored after they (magistrate) serves them a 48 hour notice what happens then? If they leave the resd before then and leave...

Civil action notice about credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I just got a notice of civil action regarding some $2800 in unsecured credit card debt. I think it dates back to '99-'00 or maybe '01. There has never been money to pay this debt or about 4 others totaling >$10k because of illness, unemployment, and student status. I thought about filing...

View more questions Search