Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    The valium is going to help. If they offer you an IV with narcotics to go along with the valium, say yes. Though even with just the valium, you are also going to get local shots to make you numb. You'll probably be ok, but if you are anxious at all tell the doctor. They have all the medicine you will need to feel comfortable, all you have to do is tell the doctor if you are scared or in pain. They are going to want you relaxed enough to hold still, and if you are tense you are more likely to not hold still. So be sure to tell the doctor if you feel scared or worried at all.
    I know the surgeon personally. He also knows me, and a lot about me.

His comment to his former nurse of about 26 years, who is also a very dear and close friend of mine, that upon learning about my condition, was that they would have to literally drag me into the hospital!

I didn't do very well, the last time when he removed a cyst that turned out to be benign from one of my breasts!

I know that I'll be even more anxious, unless I get to bed, right now!

Thank you all so much for your information, concern and especially, the caring! :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 04:10 AM

Clough, Valium is very addictive, but don't let that fact change your mind on taking it. Your doctor wants you to be relaxed, and they will do the job. Like someone mentioned, don't drive after taking it though.

God bless you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:07 AM

True, Valium is addictive, but 2mg is barely anything, to someone who has never taken it before though it would do wonders. To someone who takes it regularly enough to become addicted, 2mg would feel like they hadn't taken any at all.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hi C:)

I can help you understand the addiction side of taking medications, even for the correct reasons.

A year ago I had surgery on my knee,they prescribed Darvocet for the recovery(I think,it's been a whole your,you know... lol)anyway, I took them as I was supposed to.

At first,I needed them for the pain, soon I was taking them for the pleasure,then I had none and wanted more, with my past record of addiction,I fully expected this to happen,Upon stopping I went through withdraws,moodiness(above and beyond the 'normal' bipolar stuff),attitudes, etc.

Last summer I had surgery for my right hand(carpel tunnel release)I was prescribed Darvocet(I remember them.. lol)I took them for the pain,then for the pleasure,had withdraws,moodiness and attitude,, (pattern forming)

A few weeks ago I had surgery for my left hand(carpel tunnel release)I was prescribed Darvocet,I took them for the pain,then for the pleasure,am now having withdraws,moodiness and attitude.. (Pattern complete)

Do I know I am an addict, Sure,I've known that since '85.

Does an addict change their stripes even though they stop taking drugs,, NEVER!Once an addict,always an addict.

You have seen me,do I look like some street junky? no,I am just another person in the world with an addictive personality.

I can't say you don't have an addictive personality,only you can, knowing the symptoms like I have described as to addiction,you can make you mind up as to the addictive nature of you!(BTW,I am not unique in this personality, most addicts are just like this, clean or not)

If you really think you might be taking the pills,or anything that you might think seems wrong, ask, seek advice from people you trust, I hope I am one of them,I would surely try to advise you in the addictive medication,abuse, etc area, always have,always will.

Take care my friend, I'll be thinking about you today.\

Ken
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 06:42 AM
    I don't think we need to worry about the addiction part of valium with Clough. You see, the valium will be, most likely, only given once right before surgery. It won't be given after. It's just enough to take the edge off. He will not be given a prescription for afterward. It is usually used for surgery to put the patient into what is known as a twilight sleep, or conscious sedation. They are conscious, but feel no pain and don't care what is going on.

Most times, with surgery, Valium is given IV, not PO.

So, let's not put the cart before the horse. He's worried enough, we don't need him to worry about addiction on top of this. In that case, he may refuse the Valium, which could spell disaster for the surgery team.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 08:31 AM

I only added this description as I believe he is already in surgery, I wouldn't send a message like this for scare tactics,or to upset him before surgery, at least I believe he is already there.

I only stated that those are the symptoms I go through and if he is concerned he can call me,PM me,whatever, just information.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Clough, Valium is very addictive, but don't let that fact change your mind on taking it. Your doctor wants you to be relaxed, and they will do the job. Like someone mentioned, don't drive after taking it though.

God bless you.
    All is now done concerning the surgery on me locally. More about that later on the other thread that I started...

I can barely see right now. No "eyes" are in and there's this great, big cotton ball thingy on my nose in between my eyes

I definitely was relaxed with just two of the Valium! So much so, that the medical personnel wouldn't allow me to take the third one that had been prescribed to me.

My daughter drove me to and from the hospital.

God Bless You Too, jmjoseph!

Thanks!
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 18, 2010, 01:38 PM

I'm glad you are home and the valium worked! I didn't want to scare you, but it totally does the same thing to me :). Some people can tolerate a lot more though, so its good the doctor gave you enough!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 02:40 PM

Glad you are well Clough, I hope you can get those cotton balls off soon!
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Glad all went well and that you are home safely. Heal quickly so you can see again, okay?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Hi C:)

I can help you understand the addiction side of taking medications,,even for the correct reasons.

A year ago I had surgery on my knee,they prescribed Darvocet for the recovery(I think,it's been a whole your,ya know...lol)anyway,,I took them as I was supposed to.

At first,I needed them for the pain,,soon I was taking them for the pleasure,then I had none and wanted more,,with my past record of addiction,I fully expected this to happen,Upon stopping I went through withdraws,moodiness(above and beyond the 'normal' bipolar stuff),attitudes,,etc.

Last summer I had surgery for my right hand(carpel tunnel release)I was prescribed Darvocet(I remember them..lol)I took them for the pain,then for the pleasure,had withdraws,moodiness and attitude,,,(pattern forming)

A few weeks ago I had surgery for my left hand(carpel tunnel release)I was prescribed Darvocet,I took them for the pain,then for the pleasure,am now having withdraws,moodiness and attitude..(Pattern complete)

Do I know I am an addict,,Sure,I've known that since '85.

Does an addict change their stripes even though they stop taking drugs,,,NEVER!Once an addict,always an addict.

You have seen me,do I look like some street junky?,no,I am just another person in the world with an addictive personality.

I can't say you don't have an addictive personality,only you can,,knowing the symptoms like I have described as to addiction,you can make you mind up as to the addictive nature of you!(BTW,I am not unique in this personality,,most addicts are just like this,,clean or not)

If you really think you might be taking the pills,or anything that you might think seems wrong,,ask,,seek advice from people you trust,,I hope I am one of them,I would surely try to advise you in the addictive medication,abuse,,etc area,,always have,always will.

Take care my friend,,I'll be thinking about you today.

Ken
    Hi, Ken!

Guess what I was given as my pain medication for home?

The generic equivalent for Darvocet! Might be okay, might not. Don't know. Still kind of groggy right now...

The surgeon who prescribed it for me knows me quite well, though.

I will certainly be seeking out your adivice!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    I'm glad you are home and the valium worked! I didn't want to scare you, but it totally does the same thing to me :). Some people can tolerate a lot more though, so its good the doctor gave you enough!
    Enough was enough! I don't like to take medications that are unfamiliar to me. Never really sure of what might happen. That's why I started this thread.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Ken!

Guess what I was given as my pain medication for home?

The generic equivalent for Darvocet! Might be okay, might not. Don't know. Still kind of groggy right now...

The surgeon who prescribed it for me knows me quite well, though.

I will certainly be seeking out your adivice!

Thanks!
    Big smile:)

It is probably the most prescribed for post surgery, it certainly is here anyway.

Mine were Propoxyphene-N 100 W/ APAP 650 Tabs, I think that's a pretty normal dosage..

Take it BEFORE it gets too painful, maybe there isn't much pain and you won't need full pills, or taking them at longer periods than every 4-6 hours, that is decided by your needs/pain levels, but don't let the pain get too great, responsible medication taking(which I fall short of, :( ) says to stay ahead of the pain,but not to go for the pleasure of them(again where I fall short.. :( )

Anyway, please, call,PM,whatever, I am here for you,friend:)
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I don't think we need to worry about the addiction part of valium with Clough. You see, the valium will be, most likely, only given once right before surgery. It won't be given after. It's just enough to take the edge off. He will not be given a prescription for afterward. It is usually used for surgery to put the patient into what is known as a twilight sleep, or conscious sedation. They are conscious, but feel no pain and don't care what is going on.

Most times, with surgery, Valium is given IV, not PO.

So, let's not put the cart before the horse. He's worried enough, we don't need him to worry about addiction on top of this. In that case, he may refuse the Valium, which could spell disaster for the surgery team.
    You're right on the "money" there, J_9!

Excellent advice given based upon the esperience of a professional!

Thanks!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:01 PM

Darvocet is a very common pain medication. It is probably one of the weakest, safest, pain relievers that they can prescribe. I hope that you won't need them however. I hope that everything works out for you so you can be tickling the ivories again soon, and be back to your "88 fingers Louie" self .

Love and prayers from down here.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Glad you are well Clough, I hope you can get those cotton balls off soon!
    Thanks, shazy! They're blocking the vision of my right eye and driving me crazy! I need to be able to play! Doing that, is going to be difficult for a week.

They're held together with sutures and would appear to function as a clamp for the skin graft.

I have an appointment in a week with the surgeon. Hopefully, all the sutures and cotton balls will be removed then.
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post

Take it BEFORE it gets too painful,,maybe there isn't much pain
    Absolutely perfect advice. Although some people don't like to take medication, it's easier to keep the pain at bay than it is to get rid of it once it's too bad. Take the meds as prescribed for the first day, then try to spread them out longer and longer until you no longer need them.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Glad all went well and that you are home safely. Heal quickly so you can see again, okay?
    I'll try! It's making me wonder though, because there's still blood that rolls down my right cheek occasionally. I'll write about that on the other thread, though.

I think that I look like a cyborg, cyclops or maybe even a pirate!

Arghhhh maties!! :D
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
    What other thread Clough? I missed it I think. Can you give me the link?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
    What other thread Clough? I missed it I think. Can you give me the link?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medica...ut-441148.html

You were there, J_9, although briefly. You probably got caught up with other things...

We all know how it is, that when we answer on a lot of different threads, that it's hard to keep track of where we are and where we've been sometimes! :)

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Properties for valium [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me 4 chemical properties to valium ! Thanks a lot

Lewis Structure for Diazepam (Valium) [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone please give me the Lewis Diagram for Diazepam , otherwise known as Valium. The formula is C16 H13 Cl N2 O... Thanks A lot!

Is this more than I'm taking it to be? [ 1 Answers ]

If a boss is asked to change around certain peoples schedules but never does, and when asked by me does it the same day isn't that odd for him to go out of his way for me. He does anything I ask him too, he helps me study my school work, he's checked his e-mail on saturdays when he's off and...

How much am I taking [ 2 Answers ]

On the vitamin bottle some say iu and others say mg what is the difference between like 1mg and 1iu in measurements

Valium ~ bin your system [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it stay in your system ~ for a urine test

View more questions Search