Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acusry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 08:24 PM
    Breaking a lease in SC... legalities?
    I am frustrated by my landlord and feel I cannot trust him. When we moved in we were not given one of those form things to list what was wrong with the house (the landlord said it was unnecessary). The owner of the house who lives next door seemed shocked when we told her there were signs of a fire in the kitchen and a hole in the ceiling. Since we moved in the hole in the ceiling has gotten bigger, the floor of the bathtub busted in, there has been water running down the walls into electrical outlets when it rains, two large rates have been killed by the dog, and we discovered one of the upstairs windows is missing a pane (saran wrap was taped over the hole so it looked fine until the blinds were opened). The owner is really ditzy and always directs us to the landlord for issues, but he is unhelpful: we fixed the tub ourselves, the missing pane and hole in the ceiling are still there, and he did have someone fix the water leaking into the outlets but did not replace the damaged outlets so we still cannot use them.

My main complaint about him though is the fact that Im concerned about the safety of my dog. The guy who lives behind us had two dogs (his contract allowed for one but he had a verbal agreement with both the owner and landlord that two were okay). The landlord entered his house without prior notice to show it to future renters... he left the front door open and subsequently let the dogs out of the bedroom they stay in during the day, allowing them to run out into the street. One dog was killed by a car and the other died a week later of depression. The landlord did not try to contact our neighbor or even catch the dogs... he continued showing the house.

We have reached the point where we don't want to report anything else that goes wrong here because we are afraid the landlord will get our dog killed as well through such negligence. We just want to get out of this house and away from this guy. There is no clause in our lease about breaking it, and we can't afford to pay the remainder of the rent up-front. Also, I am afraid he will try to charge us for the damages which were already existing when we moved in.

My boyfriend and I are the only two on the lease (and the owners of the dog) and we live with three other roomates. I have tried finding people to replace our names on the lease without success (the roomates cannot afford the house without rent being split five-ways and would subsequently move out as well).

Any suggestions on how to get out of here?
    jonledin Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Jun 25, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Refuse to pay lease and move out but find other reantal first. If he comes after you for remaining lease payments don't pay, he is responsible for upkeep on property along with abiding by the landlord and tennet act which comes from your state statutes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2010, 01:40 PM

While I sympathize with your concerns, there are no grounds for breaking your lease. Before you can break a lease for cause, you have to be able to show repeated disregard for issues that would make the property uninhabitable. And I don't see that. If you leave and the owner sues, you will, in all likelihood, lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legalities of a Texas Apartment Association Lease [ 23 Answers ]

Is a TAA (Texas Apartment Association) Lease valid if it is not signed by both parties? The copy of the lease I have that was provided to me by the management copy is not signed by them. Does this void the terms of the contract lease?

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Stipulations in a lease vs. Law when breaking a lease [ 8 Answers ]

I'm breaking a lease with my landlord 6 months in (I'm moving out of the country). I've found someone to take over the lease immediately upon my departure. I informed my landlord 5 weeks prior to the point where I'd be breaking the lease. The landlord has (three weeks later) informed me that they...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search