Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tim99 Posts: 9, Reputation: -2

Feb 17, 2010, 05:11 PM
    How do you install a vent on a toilet?
    I am building a new bathroom in our church. The toilet will sit on a concrete basement floor so I will be cutting out the floor to install the drain. I can't run the vent up the wall in back of the toilet because there is a stone wall. So, I would like to vent it up a side wall. How close does the vent have to be to the toilet?

H
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 05:21 PM

Vent take off needs to be within six feet of closet bend. As long as your vent is taken off within six feet, you can run pretty much as far as you need.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2010, 05:26 PM

If local codes permit why not connect the lavatorydrain to the toilet drain and let it be wet vented by the lavatory toof vent. A bonus is that if you wish to add a shower all you have to do is connect it to the lavatory drain and it will be wetvented as well. So all you will have to do is run one vent, ( if t there's a dry vent handy to revent back to that would be nice)
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 05:28 PM

Tom gave you a good option. If you go this route, make sure the lav drain and vent are minimum two inch all the way up to the roof, as toilet vents require a two inch vent min.
    Tim99 Posts: 9, Reputation: -2

Feb 17, 2010, 06:57 PM

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks. I have done a lot of work on my house over the last 30 years... and learned by my mistakes! I need to engineer this project so that it is right - the first time. If I install a Wet Vent system from the sink to vent the toilet, I assume the pipe should be oversized to accommodate the duel function??
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:23 PM

Correct. And two inch is oversized for the sink drain and vent, but large enough for the toilet vent. So two inch sink drain(acting as the toilet vent) is just fine, as long as you carry the two inch sink vent all the way up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace Sealand toilet with traditional toilet. In home install [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a home that has three Sealand toilets installed in the bathrooms. They look like toilets that should only be used on a boat. The previous owner was very "green minded" and I am sure he thought these to be real water savers. But, I hate them, they smell and they leak. I want to...

Install of Vent under two bowl sink [ 16 Answers ]

I had a guy install a vent (black Portion in picture) under my two bowl kitchen sink but it does not seem to work when I have a full sink of water. When I go to let the water out, it just flows into the other sink bowl and drains very, very slowly. If I stick my finger in a small hole in the...

Do I need to install a vent? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem with the washing machine overflowing from drain pipe. I am replacing the drain pipe because it is only 1 1/2in and 15in high. I need to know if I need to put a vent pipe in before p-trap? This hooks up to my sewer pipe that is about 1ft away!

Looking for good Advise on replacing toilet flange on concrete slab to install toilet [ 26 Answers ]

To whom it may concern: I got a problem with a toilet that has been rocking and twisting for quite some time until it started leaking and what now I pull up the toilet to find out that the flange is broken on one side. I tried that flange plate from home depo but it won't work because the slab is...

Can I install a dryer vent [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a condo. It came with a "washer/dryer" unit, but one of the European kinds that is both a washer and dryer in one unit... needless to say it doesn't work. So, I have a washer hookup but need a dryer vent so that I can buy a real dryer and washer. The set-up is in a closet that is...

View more questions Search