Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProudMomma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Lpn? Rn? Pta?
    Hi all, I'm trying to make a huge decision. I'm 28, have a 19 month old, currently working at a job that I hate, making $12.64 per hour. So this is why I am back in school. I have my AA degree, and originally I was thinking of going in the PTA program, have a few prereqs left.. (4 to be exact), although I'm reading and for Orlando, FL, I was finding that PTA's aren't making a whole lot of money unless you are working in a nursing home or in someone's home. I don't want that. Then I thought of going to school to be an LPN (would have to take 4 classes to get into that program), then going through thath program for 1 year, then get into the RN program career track. Which is only 1 year, but then on top of that, that is 7 MORE prereqs I would need to get into the RN. Then I thought of getting my AS as an RN. Which would be 7 prereq classes, then the 2 years of the program. The issues I am facing which might turn me completely off are dealing with is that I cannot handle changing diapers of a 90 year old man, or anything gross like vomit. I have a terrible gag reflux. I have Barretts Esophogas, I'm not sure if it's related, but I haven't always been this way. Needles don't bother me. I don't want to miss a whole lot of time with my son, but at the same time, I am trying to better our lives. Any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for listening :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 02:11 PM

Hi ProudMomma. If you are thinking of any of those programmes, then the schooling necessary means missing a lot of time with your son, but if you want to better yourself then you would have to do it.

Why don't you do it this way, wait until your son is in kindergarten, or old enough for a good daycare center where he can learn socializing (which would benefit the both of you for the maturity level).

If you are going for the gold, go for Registered Nurse, why bother with Licenced Practical Nurse, but I think the RN schooling is a lot more then one year.

Good luck, my dear, I hope this helped.

As for changing diapers, cleaning up vomit, that is all part of any of these positions. I don't mind any of them if it helps the person I am caring for.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:28 PM

If you can't stand really bad messes, I don't know of any job in the medical field that I can recommend, I work out of the physcial therpy area of a major hospital, and patients losing bowel control is a daily issue
    Jessmor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Hi! Im glad your wanting to go to school! Especially because you're a mom! I have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old, I'm going to college for RN! You won't see your son much when your attending school but at least know that in the future it'll be all worth it! PTA is a great career too and has flexible hours,also rn work 3 days a week from 12 hrs or more a day, but again you get 4 days off. You should shadow the 2 fields and see which one you like best! Goodluck! Wish you the best! God Bless!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forming a new PTA - need answers. [ 2 Answers ]

My sons school hasn't had a PTA for several years. A memo went out they would like to get one formed again. I have joined. At our first meeting, being we are all new to it and no one has been part in a PTA before the question was what to form as or what to call ourselves. What's the difference...

Getting lpn liscensce [ 3 Answers ]

If you have a felony can you obtain your LPN license.

Rn or lpn? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know what the difference between a Rn and Lpn? Can lpn's work in a hospital?

How to become a lpn [ 2 Answers ]

I was looking in to becoming a lpn do I have to go to a nursing school or could I take the courses I need at a community college does it take longer?

Volunteer in PTA [ 3 Answers ]

I need to type a letter to ask parents to help in various PTA events

View more questions Search