Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Is it legal to get a tattoo under 18 in Pennsylvania?
    As a special mother-daughter bonding, my mum plans to take me to get a tattoo with her. I am 17 and in the state of Pennsylvania. I would indubitably have parental permission, as my mum will be getting a tattoo with me. Is this legal?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 12:53 PM

Did you call the shop you'll be getting it done at yet? They would know
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 01:30 PM

Ask Child Protective Services. I'm sure they will tell you when they take you away.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:10 PM

What?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:13 PM

As long as the parent is there and signs the release the shop should do it. I live in PA and I know a lot of people who got tattoos with a parents permission before they were 18.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:35 PM

My research indicates it is illegal under the age of 18, even with parental consent: "tattooing of minors is prohibited; new restrictive codes; illegal for cosmetologist to provide permanent makeup in salon according to the State Board of Cosmetology"

http://www.aaatattoodirectory.com/ta...egulations.htm
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Ask Child Protective Services. I'm sure they will tell you when they take you away.

I'll join in on "what?" How do you see CPS involved if her mother goes in with her and she's 17?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 17, 2010, 02:46 PM

As long as you have parental consent, it should be fine.

Here are some sites with the laws listed, or quoted.
    Pennsylvania Tattoo Laws
    Tattoo Laws Pennsylvania - United States - TattooJoy

If you call and ask the parlor you plan to go to, they'll be able to tell you for sure. As long it's a reputable tattoo artist, they will be current on the laws. You should also ask if there's any documentation you need to bring in to prove that she is your mother.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 03:04 PM

Okay, I'm getting mixed answers here.

So I'm kind of confused
    Experts

Feb 17, 2010, 04:10 PM

Just call the tattoo parlor you're planning on going to. They'll tell you for sure if you're allowed. They'll also let you know if you need to bring anything to prove that she's your mother, in addition to the photo id you'll have to take anyway.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:21 PM

The Law is posted in two ways on several sites - I posted one version above (illegal to tattoo under 18); the second says that it IS legal under 18 with the consent of a parent.

I realize that laws change but it is impossible to tell which is current.

I would ask at the tattoo parlor.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:23 PM

Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to do that
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to do that

Would you please come back and let us know what the current law is? Someone else will ask this at sometime and what you learn will be most helpful.

Thanks -
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What was this for? It was a little on the unnecessary side wasn't it? Nice way to scare a kid. Either say yes it's legal or no it's not.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks J
    Experts

Feb 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What was this for? It was a little on the unnecessary side wasn't it? Nice way to scare a kid. Either say yes it's legal or no it's not.
    I want to know what makes AK think CPS would get involved. I knew several kids who got tattoos before they were 18. I had class with one girl who got a tattoo for her birthday every year starting when she was 14. Yes, I live in Ohio, but I don't think pa is much different in this matter.

Tattoos and piercings are generally governed by the same laws. If a minor can get their ears pierced with parental consent, then they can probably get a tattoo the same way.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i want to know what makes AK think CPS would get involved. i knew several kids who got tattoos before they were 18. i had class with one girl who got a tattoo for her birthday every year starting when she was 14. yes, i live in ohio, but i don't think pa is much different in this matter.

tattoos and piercings are generally governed by the same laws. if a minor can get their ears pierced with parental consent, then they can probably get a tattoo the same way.
    I want to know the same thing Heath,

And good point
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i want to know what makes AK think CPS would get involved. i knew several kids who got tattoos before they were 18. i had class with one girl who got a tattoo for her birthday every year starting when she was 14. yes, i live in ohio, but i don't think pa is much different in this matter.

tattoos and piercings are generally governed by the same laws. if a minor can get their ears pierced with parental consent, then they can probably get a tattoo the same way.

That's why I asked AK why he thought CPS would get involved - he signed off and I didn't get an answer.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:43 PM

My mom was going to give permission for me to get a tattoo when I was 17 (before I chickened out) Does that make her a bad parent?
    Of coarse not, she's a wonderful mum, she just knew I really wanted it and I was going to get it when I turned 18 anyway, the design I picked out wasn't trashy and it was going to be placed somewhere that wasn't visible anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

Pennsylvania Statutes [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive/free copy of the Pennsylvania Statutes so that I can use reference on my own time? I have been to the courthouse law library as well as the public library but I would like to get a copy for myself.

Pennsylvania adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Philadelphia on 6/6/59 and was adopted in Pennsylvania in the same year. What would be the procedure to check on my birth records if I wanted to find my birth mother? I've heard that the adoption records are sealed in that state. Is this true and who would I contact? Thanks!:)

View more questions Search