Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:49 PM

I asked him as well

I don't see how it would make a parent a bad parent. I mean it's all about freedom of expression right
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:58 PM

I waited until I was 30 to get my first tattoo. My parents would have flipped.

I got the tat a day before my mothers funeral. I did mention it to her before she died and I was pleasantly surprised. She said "I wish I was young and healthy, I'd get one on my butt". :)

Tattoos are a form of expression. If you can't get it now then wait until your 18. Just make sure you're happy with the design and the place you put it, it is forever. Also choose an artist who has experience, you don't want someone that only has a year under his/her belt doing this tattoo.

Lastly, we'll be needing a picture when it's done. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I waited until I was 30 to get my first tattoo. My parents would have flipped.

I got the tat a day before my mothers funeral. I did mention it to her before she died and I was pleasantly surprised. She said "I wish I was young and healthy, I'd get one on my butt". :)

Tattoos are a form of expression. If you can't get it now then wait until your 18. Just make sure you're happy with the design and the place you put it, it is forever. Also choose an artist who has experience, you don't want someone that only has a year under his/her belt doing this tattoo.

Lastly, we'll be needing a picture when it's done. :)
    I just want something simple, barbed wire over my wrist, with a heart in the center. I need something to cover up that dang sickening scar. And it's supposed to represent me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 07:05 PM

I'll be sure to post up pictures
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    I just want something simple, barbed wire over my wrist, with a heart in the center. I need something to cover up that dang sickening scar. And it's supposed to represent me.
    Mine is on my ankle, a wavy design in black that meets up on the side. In the middle are two hearts with my parents initials in them. :)

Think over the barbed wire, unless that's something you really like, I'd go for something a bit softer, something you can grow into. That's just me though.

Why not start a thread asking for tat designs? We have a lot of creative people here. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Mine is on my ankle, a wavy design in black that meets up on the side. In the middle are two hearts with my parents initials in them. :)

Think over the barbed wire, unless that's something you really like, I'd go for something a bit softer, something you can grow into. That's just me though.

Why not start a thread asking for tat designs? We have a lot of creative people here. :)
    I think I should!

And the barbed wire is something I've been thinking about for years, I'm either doing that or rose thorns.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 08:27 PM
    Think very hard, as well, about the location. Remember you are only 17 and have a lifetime ahead of you yet. There are many careers that you will not be eligible for if you have a tattoo that is visible and not able to be covered up by clothing. It WILL limit your employment opportunities when you get older.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:39 PM

I plan on being a cultural or forensic anthropologist
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 08:40 PM

Just out of interest it is legal in PA for a person under 18 to get a tattoo as long as their parents or their guardian signs for it.

Tattoo Laws Pennsylvania - United States - TattooJoy
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Keep in mind that plans change. I'm not trying to change your mind, but rather the location of the tattoo. You may not be taken seriously as a scientist with a visible tattoo.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:44 PM
    And if that doesn't come off?. remember the Tattoo won't either Emop :cool:

J's point is very valid and one you should think through very carefully before you commit to something like barb wire , now personally I have absolutely nothing against that myself , BUT if I hired someone with certain attributes lets say , my Boss would pull me over the coals , just the way of the world I'm afraid.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Just out of interest it is legal in PA for a person under 18 to get a tattoo as long as thier parents or thier guardian signs for it.

Tattoo Laws Pennsylvania - United States - TattooJoy
    Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    And if that doesn't come off ?? .......................... remember the Tattoo won't either Emop :cool:

J's point is very valid and one you should think through very carefully before you commit to something like barb wire , now personally I have absolutely nothing against that myself , BUT if I hired someone with certain attributes lets say , my Boss would pull me over the coals , just the way of the world I'm afraid.
    I know the effect it will have, But this is something I need to do. Maybe I'll bet the barbed wire on my ankle instead? I have a suicide scar there too
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
    I know the effect it will have, But this is something I need to do. Maybe I'll bet the barbed wire on my ankle instead? I have a suicide scar there too
    At least you can put socks on if the occasion called for it ;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    At least you can put socks on if the occasion called for it ;)
    True true

But I'm more ticklish there!
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 09:07 PM

I think the ankle is a great idea. I wear either socks or nylons, it's barely visible with nylons and if it is or someone complains then there's always boots. :)

It's sad that your employment could be effected by a tattoo, but that's the way it is. It shouldn't be but many people still view tattoos ans only things that sailors and hookers have, that was the way my mother-in-law felt and she was not happy when she saw my tat.

If you put it somewhere that's easily covered then you don't have to fear that it will effect your dreams in the future. I'd hate for you to not get the job you dream of all because of a tattoo.

Something to think about. :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'll join in on "what?" How do you see CPS involved if her mother goes in with her and she's 17?
    I suppose I shoulld have used a "sarcasm" emote. Just couldn't find one.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 18, 2010, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I suppose I shoulld have used a "sarcasm" emote. Just couldn't find one.
    The sarcasm came through loud and clear. It was tinged with something else, though, too. Bitterness or anger or distaste. I'm not sure.

What we can't understand is why in the world you would feel the need to tell her that she would get taken away form her parents for getting a tattoo, even if you were being sarcastic.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:13 AM

Emop, maybe you could compromise and get a tattoo somewhere hidden at first and then decide if you still want the barbed wire later?

I just know a few people who really regretted theirs after they got them.
    Not because they didn't like them but because they were actually not allowed to go into some restaurants and clubs because they had tattoos showing.

I don't have a problem with them at all (I have 2 myself) but I'd just hate for you to regret it later in life when someone tries to whisk you away for a romantic evening in a beautiful restaurant and you are not allowed in.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 07:03 AM

Oops I guess I should have written that tattoo comment here, oh well silly me.
    I got my first tattoo when I was 15. Did not have my parents permission, luckily they didn't see it until I was 17, and my mom didn't freak. Was it the most responsible thing to do? no. Did that make my parents bad parents? no. Do I regret what I chose? Yes. Well I guess it's not that bad it's kind of cute in it's getto -fabulous way ;) Maybe I should get it touched up.
    I also hate that certain jobs frown upon self expression. Although I guess I would be intimidated if I were in the bank trying to get a loan and it was from a guy who had a full face tattoo!
    But yours sounds nice. I like the rose thorn idea, but maybe you could think of somewhere not noticeable UNTIL you get your dream job and know that it's okay to express yourself that way. Just a thought. I know when I was 15 I also got facial piercings. I now have holes in my face. A lot of people don't even notice them, but I do. I also don't think my boss would like his staff to have lip and eye brow rings while dealing with his clients. So when I was out looking for my career, I knew I needed to take those things off my face to be taken seriosuly, and like an adult. I know that I wouldn't have the job I have now if I had visibal tattoos or peircings. And even some fast food restaurants like Tim Hortons for one, makes you wear band aids to cover up your tattoo's while at work. I think that looks nasty, and I would rather see some tatto of a naked chick then a dirty old band aid!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

Pennsylvania Statutes [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive/free copy of the Pennsylvania Statutes so that I can use reference on my own time? I have been to the courthouse law library as well as the public library but I would like to get a copy for myself.

Pennsylvania adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Philadelphia on 6/6/59 and was adopted in Pennsylvania in the same year. What would be the procedure to check on my birth records if I wanted to find my birth mother? I've heard that the adoption records are sealed in that state. Is this true and who would I contact? Thanks!:)

View more questions Search