Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlh_05 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
    A financial planning service offers a post-secondary savings program. The plan calls
    IS there a better way of solving this then trial and error... how do you solve on the BA II plus calculator??

A financial planning service offers a post-secondary savings program. The plan calls for you to make eight annual payments of $11,700 each, with the first payment occurring today, your child's 12th birthday. Beginning on your child's 20th birthday, the plan will provide $32,000 per year for ten years.

What return is this investment offering? (Try and make your answer as accurate as possible)

Feb 17, 2010, 01:01 PM

solving it by hand I get this
    (1+r)^18-3.74*(1+r)^10+2.74

and then you use trial and error to solve but I want to know how to do it on the calculator because my exam will be multiple choice so it will be faster to use calculator please help
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 11:51 PM

Are you sure it will be on your exam? My calculator times out on it. (I have an HP 10B.) Solving for interest in an annuity is the one thing in time value of money that I cannot do. (Though I did just find a way to get a starting approximation from some charts, so I at least know where to start.)

Yes, I do trial & error. I think ArcSine (wherever he is) knows how to do it in Excel, but you won't have that available for your test. If they are going to put it on a test, I would think they would provide better means by which you can do it. Seems a little odd.

Feb 21, 2010, 10:42 AM

I figured it out using my calculator
    CF = -11700
    CO1 = -11700
    FO1 = 7 (because you make 7 payments from his 12th birthday to the end of 20th birthday or beg of 21st birthday)
    CO2 = 32,000
    FO2 = 10

Press IRR button and hit CPT button to get the answer
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 12:37 AM

My calculator must be a baby one. It doesn't have an IRR button.

It's 8 years. Think about it.

Feb 23, 2010, 09:35 AM
    Well it goes until the 19th b-day because starting on the 20th birthday they get 32,000 per year... so we need the 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 which is 8 years BUT... it says that the first payment is already made so to get to the 19th there are only 7 more years of payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources [ 1 Answers ]

As a manager produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources to meet mediun to long trem objectives of the company

Network with Financial Planning [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for tax experts locally that will network with me for Financial Planning. Obviously I'm looking for those either not licensed, or optimally those with a life insurance license for commission sharing. Can anyone tell me a better way to find those that would enjoy such an affiliation? I...

Financial planning [ 1 Answers ]

Should financial planning models be as detailed as possible?

View more questions Search