Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noderman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 12:25 PM
    New Circuit including Switched GFI outlet
    I would like to run a new circuit from my breaker box to the front of my house to power a an exterior gfi outlet, which I would like to control with a switch, and then continue to power some exterior soffit lights. Running the lines is no problem. What I'm wondering is how do I run the power to the gfi first, allow it to be switched, and then continue to another switch for the exterior lights.

Thanks for any advice.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:15 PM

You could branch off before the first switch. Then you would have steady power going to the second switch. I'm not sure about conductor per box code, but you may be able to branch off the incoming line right inside the first switch box.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 03:51 PM

There is at least six different ways to do this. How to best do it would depend on where things are relative to one another. You try to do it using the least amount of wire, therefore the least amount of work.

If the switches are in the same location and the switch box is closest to the breaker panel, run power to the switch box. If the outlet and the lights are in the same direction from the switch box, run a three wire cable (neutral, switch leg for the outlet and switched leg for the lights) from the switch box to the outlet box. Run a 2-wire cable from the outlet box to the first light.

If the outlet box is closest to the breaker panel, run power to the outlet box. Run 3-wire cable from the outlet box to the switch box. If the lights are closest to the outlet box that cable will be a hot to the switches and a switch leg back to the outlet and a switched leg for the lights back to the outlet box but connected to the hot going to the lights. If the lights are closer to the switch box, the 3 wire cable from the outlet to the switch box will be a neutral, a hot and a switch leg back to the outlet. From the switch box run 2-wire cable to the first light.

The same principles apply if the switches are not in the same location. Chose you route for cabling taking into consideration the amount of wire and the difficulty of installation.

Why not give us a better description of where things are relative to one another.
    Tim99 Posts: 9, Reputation: -2

Feb 17, 2010, 05:19 PM

I would just keep it simple and run your wire to a switch then to the GFI outlet. Period. When you want power to that outlet... turn the switch on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

Adding new switched outlet to existing circuit [ 4 Answers ]

I am completing a basement remodeling and am reaching the point where I'm about to install drywall. At the last minute, I realized I should add a switched outlet (both receptacles will be controlled by a single switch) at a location in my rec room. I installed the two gang boxes and ran cable...

How do I change out old outlet to GFI outlet for FHA [ 1 Answers ]

I just had an FHA appraisal and I need to put a GFI outlet in my bathroom however, The outlet in my older home bathroom in connected to the light (Its one of those cabinet units with cabnet, light and outlet inside) one unit. How do I change this your move date is 10/27/08 and they just called me....

Switched outlet [ 1 Answers ]

What a great site! I would like to incorporate 2 switched outlets in my rewiring of the living room. I have run 12/2 to the primary tv/stereo outlets; from those I continue to two more outlets and then up to a switch. The easy way to make the bottum of the last 2 outlets controlled by switch would...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search