Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superfriendlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
    How long does it take before a credit card company can seek a judgement
    I am in over my head with credit card/loan debt due to losing my job 1 year ago. I've done well in paying my payments but now I am going to stop making payments because its either pay them or my house, food/utilities and car payments/insurance. How long does it normally take before they get a judgement to garnish possible wages (if I ever get another job), lien on my home or freeze my checking/savings accounts? Is it true that credit cards (like macys, kohls, visa/mastercards) are non-secured loans and they can't freeze your accounts or lien on home/cars? Please give me suggestions. I had excellent credit last year, now its going to be BAD. I'm most likely going to file bankruptcy by years end.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 11:37 AM
    They can (and do) do it right up until the statute of limitations... and that is a number of years.

How fast that might be varies by just how aggressive they are pursuing it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Hi, superfriendlady!

Have you called the credit card companies to see about making payment arrangements? Usually, something can be worked out. I've done that a number of times.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Is there a defense against a credit card company request for judgement? [ 3 Answers ]

When my ex wife and I divorced, she assumed the obligation for repayment of a credit card debt. Unfortunately, the account was in my name and she was an authorized user. Not only did she not pay the debt, she ran up the account balance to the maximum without my knowledge or consent. I did not...

Civil judgement by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

What exactly is a civil judgement and what can happen with it?

Judgement from credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

I had a judgement put against me in 8/2000. I do not remember if I even received a summons, my husband and I also were going through foreclosure and many other problems. I live in Florida. This judgement has been sold over to a fourth party from a law firm. They have upped the judgement amount...

Judgement filed by credit card company [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a summons on Oct 20 regarding a large credit card debt. I was given 30 days to respond to a PO box about this summons. I typed a letter & sent in it November. I received a letter from the collection agency yesterday stating I never responded to this summons. All I have is a...

View more questions Search