Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    01Latoya88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
    Examples of cost functions
    The maths department of a college is trying to put on a fundraiser. The rent of the facility is $250.00 with $100.00 for electricity and $85.00 for miscellaneous expenses. The cost of producing each ticket is $9.00 and they will be priced at $14.00 each.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:59 PM

Cost function is basically your slope-intercept form: y = mx + b, but rewritten as a cost function C(x). Your book may or may not be changing the m & b, but I'll change them so you can see how it works:

C(x) = vx + f

Where x = the number of "units," in this case ticket sales. The equation is set up so that you can plug in any x you want and see what the total costs would add up to.

Where v = variable costs. That is, those costs which you will have for each ticket sold. If you sell one, you'd have 1 as x and have to count those costs once. If you sold 10, you'd have 10 as x and have to count those costs 10 times. Etc. Variable changes as you change x, the volume of tickets sold. (Hence vx.) Which costs do you have that are variable?

Where f = fixed costs. Those are the costs that will remain the same regardless of how many tickets you sell, as they remain fixed regardless. Which costs do you have which will remain fixed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cost functions [ 2 Answers ]

Finding the cost function when fixed cost is $100 and 50 items cost $1600 to produce

Examples of fixed cost [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing cost accounting's assignment now.. can tell mi some examples of fixed cost about the automotive company and give mi some explanation... tkx very much:)

In need of examples/ideas for low-cost, formal employee recognition programs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for examples of low cost, formal, company-wide employee recognition programs that have been successful in organizations in the past or of recent. I work in human resources and need to come up with a some examples and the steps that were taken to implement these programs. Thank you. ...

Examples of changing fixed cost into a variable cost [ 3 Answers ]

I need an examples of changing the fixed cost into variable cost

Cost functions [ 4 Answers ]

If a company manufactures 20 widgets it cost $405, the cost of manufacturing 500 is $1125. Assume the cost C depends linearly on the number x of widgets manufactured. express the cost n terms of the number of widgets manufactured

View more questions Search