Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GeofTulsa Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
    Required receptacle in bathroom?
    I have a 1956 Hose with a light above the sink and a vent fan on another switch. Do I have to have an receptacle in the bathroom, i.e. can a bathroom only have lights and vent and NO plug?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 PM

Your grandfathered in, so your fine.
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 PM

Where I come from, if it wasn't there when the house was built, then its essentially "grandfathered in" and you don't need to put one in. Kind of like me not needing mirrors on my 1971 motor cycle :) But I digress, again where I come from, code stipulates one must be installed for new construction. And also, here, if I was to upgrade my house electrical, panel and wiring, then I'd have to follow the new code and install one. And there is probably stipulations as to location, and especially the use of a GFCI outlet.

EDIT: ah, you beat me to it KISS...
    GeofTulsa Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Actually, I changed out the old fluorescent light above the vanity to a new halogen one. The flouro one had a two-plug in it but we never used it because it looked scary. Does the grandfathering count if I changed out the switched to newer ones and the light fixture but haven't changed out the vanity, shower, vent fan, etc?
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Feb 16, 2010, 10:40 PM

I don't believe so. As far as I know, it would have to be an overhaul. If you renovated the entire bathroom and ran new wiring, and fixtures etc, and had a permit you would more than likely have to put in proper outlets. Just changing switches and fixtures won't make you require an outlet. Changing switches and fixtures typically don't require a permit. But I'm speaking from code where I come from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Required drain position in bathroom remodel [ 4 Answers ]

My senior parents are about to remodel their master bath. Looking at replacing corner tub with custom walk in shower. When designing the shower, does the drain have to be in center of shower or can it somehow be kept where it is. Concrete foundation, probably tile shower. Parents are reluctant...

Receptacle installations [ 10 Answers ]

Does it matter which way the grounding hole on a typical receptacle faces,up or down?

Floor receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Do receptacles mounted in the floor need to be on a GFIC circuit? Thanks

Receptacle in bathroom vanity fixture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I was helping out in my sister's house last night (just being a helpful lil' handyman brother :D), and while fixing something in one of the bathrooms, I noticed something very interesting: there is a vanity light above the mirrior that has a single receptactle built into the base of the...

View more questions Search