Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Feb 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
    My dog likes my girlfriend more
    Whenever my girlfriend comes over my dog goes crazy and get so excited. Then my dog doesn't leave her side. I don't understand this, I feed my dog, give her treats, play with her, take her to the washroom. Everything a pet would love to have in a owner my dog gets! She does cuddle with my sometimes when the girlfriend isn't around. But usually just sleeps in her own bed.
    Another thing is whenever me and my girlfriend go to kiss, my dog comes jumping on us, and tries to kiss my girlfriend. I am serious! And every time I have to throw the dog off the couch. She is just a little yorkie/zu.
    Cutest dog you will ever see. How do I get my dog to love me like she loves my girlfriend?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:10 AM

Aww don't feel bad, if you are being a good pet owner, then your dog loves you!
    Most dogs that I have knowen always like the visitor more! My oldest Am Staff is like that with a good friend of mine. Every time she comes over Max sticks to her like glue. He is even like that with strangers he just meets. Soon as they pet him once, he's got himself a new best friend. Your dog probably feels the 'love' that you feel for your g/f, and is responding to that. If it is really bothersom, then you could try some simple obiedience. Let your dog visit for 5 minuts or so, call her back to you, ask her to sit, reward, and then start with the stay command. Stay can be one of the hardest 'tricks' to teach your dog. You can also do a "time out" command, where when you want your sunggle time with girlfriend, you pup knows where she should be, like on her pillow etc. Obiedience classes would really promote bonding between you and your dog, the more commands a dog knows the better behaved it is (ideally).

Feb 17, 2010, 08:33 AM

Lol my dog can already sit, shake a paw, lay down, roll over, stay, beg, even goes to her kennel on command!
    I can even leave a treat inches in front of her, and tell her to stay, and she will just sit there, until I say go!
    I was just curious on the replies lol
    Hahaha
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:53 PM

Sounds like you might be considered the 'pack leader' and your girlfriends is a 'pack member'
    Being the pack leader is a very good thing, it means the dog respects you for being in charge of everyone in the house.
    You girlfriend is seen more as a playmate than a leader.
    While it may feel like you are being left out, I don't think it's the case at all.
    Tim99 Posts: 9, Reputation: -2

Feb 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
    You may have to give your dog a smack or two.

***** edited note**** hitting an animal is never an answer unless you are being eaten by a tiger, I did not delete it, since merely being wrong, or being a very poor answer is not a reason to delete.

Feb 17, 2010, 05:47 PM

Lol I never hit my dog!
    I am the pack leader though!!
    All I have to do is put my hand up, and the dog surrenders, so no need to follow through!
    If only I could teach the dog to not put her toys away under the couches.
    You guys ever have this problem? My dog hides everything under the couch! My last dog did the same thing, but not as bad, would take a lot of them in her bed as well. Her bed was full of toys and the odd one under the couch. This dog puts them all under the couch except her main rope bone.
    When I say tally go get your toy, she always comes back with the rope bone. And if you hide it on her, she searches the entire kitchen, living room, and porch. Will not get a different toy
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim99 View Post
    You may have to give your dog a smack or two.
    Are you suggesting him HITTING his dog? If you are, then you have no business giving advice on this board. Hit a dog to make it love you more? Not very smart I say.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 PM

Dynocompe, I have to question something, considering your advice on another thread for the OP to give her dog sleeping pills, I have to say that I'm not really buying this whole wonderfully trained submissive dog , not hitting thing you're telling us.

My spidey senses are tingling here and I smell a troll.

You told another OP to give her dog a sleeping pill to shut him up.

go get some sleeping pills, should shut it up.
    Now you want us to believe that you're a wonderful pet owner, have a wonderful dog, you never beat her, you are the best owner in the world and the dog wants for nothing?

Not buying it. If something seems off it's usually because it is.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 03:57 AM

dynocompe - One of mine does the same thing except with her it's not the couch, it's the coffee table inside and the grape vines outside.
    Their toy basket will be empty and I will find a huge pile under the coffee table, and another huge pile hidden under the grape vines branches!
    She does the same thing with treats, hides them to eat later.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 05:37 AM

I always thought it was like barrying the bone for them. Lady and Max both hide their stuffies. Lady puts them under the lazy boy chair. As soon as the foot rest pops open she's under there hiding her bones and toys! I am always afraid I am going to squash her under there!

Feb 18, 2010, 06:12 AM

Um just to clear things up, the sleeping pill was a total joke!! Hard to sense sarcasm over the computer I guess! If you noticed I answered the question HONESTLY under that!
    Yes and this thread was kind of a joke, I am not seriously all DEPRESSED that attention my dog gives my girlfriend lol. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it for fun!
    I am very well alware how much my dog loves me.
    I have NEVER EVER hit my dog in any way! Are you kidding me? My dog is very small, not even 3 lbs!
    Your theory on the dog surrendering because it has been hit before is way wrong. Maybe your dog is not as smart as mine? But my dog knows a hand in the air comes down? I don't know. I play wrestle with my dog a lot!
    So are you telling me, that every time I go to brush my dogs hair, as soon as she she's the hair brush she runs, because that hair brush hurts her and she is so scared?
    NO, as soon as you start brushing her hair, she loves it!
    Same with when I cut her hair, as soon as she seens the clippers, she hides, but she then really enjoys it!
    Never a fuss.
    So your thoeries are very much wrong. ALSo a dog who will get beat, doesn't usually SURRENDER, but instead they BITE back!
    My dog will not hurt a fly, and is scared of strangers, runs away, they can't get close to her.
    And I actually never do raise my hand to the dog, only when I play wrestle, that is how I know this.
    I can even chase my dog around, she loves this game, when we are in the play mood, and as soon as I catch her, she lays on her back and surrenders.
    She surrenders to everything! I think its her way of kind of playing.
    SO FOR YOU GUYS TO SIT HERE AND JUDGE ME. I am not impressed. A lot of the other section ofs the forum on here are a lot more easy going then you guys, Lighten up. Not everyone is serious all the time! Have fun with life.
    If you notice my posts have jokes in them, and serious questions. It's the way I am. I thought me coming here asking this question, actually showed I cared about my dog very much. I also never said HUMAN sleeping pills. They do have medication for depressed dogs! My buddies dog was on it before.
    So relax, I am very sarcastic. I guess I won't post in the dog section of the forums anymore.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 06:28 AM

Well you said it best, it's hard to read sarcasim! It's fine to joke around and have fun, but most people that come here are looking for serious responses to their questions. And maybe you should have specified that you weren't talking about human sleeping pills.
    I know I for one, and I can bet all the other posters here take animal welfare EXTREMLEY serious. There are so many people out there giving ill advice, and it's the animals that suffer. I am sorry that you felt attacked, but when you read or see some of the things that these animals have gone through, it's hard to not be sensitive to things like that. A lot of the members on the this forum volunteer at animal shelters, human societies or the SPCA, so I know I get VERY defensive and find NO humor in beating, drugging or harming any animal.
    It seems like you are a loving pet owner. I would hope that you wouldn't ever hit a dog. Any dog, big or small.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 09:41 AM

The sleeping pill post was not a good joke. Do not ever post something like that on a serious thread again or I will report you. What if the OP had taken your advice? You could have killed her dog! Is that funny to you? :(

Now you're saying that this thread is "kind of a joke". So we're wasting our time giving you answers because you're bored and just wanted to see what people would say? There are other people we could be helping, people with real issues.

We welcome everyone to this site, more people only makes the site better, but not if you're going to be sarcastic, post things that could be harmful, start threads asking a question just to get some kicks.

If you want to remain here then you're going to have to take questions seriously and if you want to start a fun thread, do it in member discussions, not on the dog thread where we pride ourselves on giving accurate helpful advice.

This is the best advice I can give you. You may not be happy that I'm telling you you were wrong, but you were. We can move on from here but I will be keeping an eye out. The pet forums mean a lot to me and I will not allow someone to post harmful things here. If you love dogs as much as you say then you should be able to understand why I'm not taking this as a joke and I can't just pretend it's okay.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2235597]

Now you're saying that this thread is "kind of a joke". So we're wasting our time giving you answers because you're bored and just wanted to see what people would say? There are other people we could be helping, people with real issues.

Exactly. I felt like I had taken the time to write a serious response, and then he laughed at it.
    I also felt that Shaz gave a really good answer as well, (even though I can't seem to agree with her posts any more :confused:) and that took away time from her maybe responding to someone with a serious legit question.

OP there is a section called humor, maybe try that one...

Feb 18, 2010, 11:14 AM

FOr one I didn't post this thread in this section! FOr obvious reasons! A moderator moved it to this part of the forum!!
    So get over it!
    I didn't want it in the section as much as you. I know what tree huggers and animal rights lovers are like. You can't deal with people like that, they have a one track mind
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dynocompe View Post
    FOr one I didnt post this thread in this section! FOr obvious reasons! A moderator moved it to this part of the forum!!!!!
    So get over it!
    I didnt want it in the section as much as you. I know what tree huggers and animal rights lovers are like. You can't deal with people like that, they have a one track mind
    Where did you originally post it?

There are many times that people post questions in the wrong place to get the help they need. One type of example is dog health questions being placed on boards for human health related problems. Not to mention, law, movies, plumbing, pest control, etc. questions ending up in the least likely places they should be placed in. Every hour serious questions have to be moved to where they can get the proper advice.

If it looks like a serious question, it should be moved to the correct board.

Instead of laughing off the advice given, why didn't you say, "oops it was supposed to be in humor"?

Feb 18, 2010, 11:33 AM

"Instead of laughing off the advice given, why didn't you say, "oops it was supposed to be in humor"?"

I DID!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 11:43 AM
    "Instead of laughing off the advice given, why didn't you say, "oops it was supposed to be in humor"?"

I DID!
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the Humor & Comedy Section not humor as in 'jest'.

Was this edited to take out any reference to it being meant as a joke:
    lol my dog can already sit, shake a paw, lay down, roll over, stay, beg, even goes to her kennel on command!
    I can even leave a treat inches infront of her, and tell her to stay, and she will just sit there, until I say go!
    I was just curious on the replies lol
    hahaha
    "lol" and "hahaha" do not mean it is a joke. They mean the person is laughing or chuckling. Some people laugh or lol to ease their discomfort over a serious problem or simply because they are amused.

Feb 18, 2010, 11:51 AM

I WAS JUST CURIOUS, HAHAHA LOL, MEANS IT WAS A JOKE!

And I did want to hear replies on the situation too see what people had to say about it! Weather it was for humor and peoples reasons behind a dogs way of thinking!
    Like I said and your proving it yourself! One track mind.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 12:02 PM

K, well, just so you know, if you post a question in the dog section you will get a serious response. And you can call it what you want, but it's still not funny. Ok so lets move on...
    Maybe next time you could try including a title "just for fun" or "just courious to your opinion..."
    It is hard to read emotion in people's posts, and since no one really knows you yet, then it's hard to do a judgement call and know clearly if you were joking or not... Did you originally post it in the member discussion board or the humor section? Also there is the option to run a poll, people can give their opinions, and it doesn't look like you are asking a serious question looking for an answer... hope that makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

He acts like he likes me, but likes another girl too [ 12 Answers ]

Ok so there's this guy who I really like, and he works at the stable where I ride my horse. He talks to me on Facebook and used to say I'm hot, and call me babes. He even asked me to come to his football game once at my school. When we see each other in person though, he stares at the ground. He...

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

My dog likes only sausage [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is 4 years old…she has been a very picky eater from the very beginning…It was our first dog and we spoiled her as much as we could… she’s never eaten the dry food, she was eating Pedigree wet food only and you need to change it every time, because she gets bored and refuses to eat …also if...

A movie about a loyal dog and a boy who likes to draw [ 3 Answers ]

All I remembered was that there was this boy who was very poor and he likes to draw, and there was also this dog who was loyal and helped the boy a lot. In the end the boy saw his a famous painting that he wanted to see for a long time and he died. Angels came down to pick him to heave. The movie...

View more questions Search