Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xCloudx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Confused on Salaries Payable/Salaries Expense
    Ok, I'm doing a comprehensive problem for my accounting class. For the first part, we're supposed to journalize and post the transactions. The only one I was confused on was this one:

July 20 Paid $1,600 for employee salaries.

In the journal, do I record it as this:
    Date:
    July 20
    Acct. Title & Explanation:
    Salaries Expense
    Cash
    (Paid Employee Salaries)
    Debit:
    Credit:

Or should Salaries Expense be changed to Salaries Payable? They give us a list of all the accounts to use and both Salaries Expense and Salaries Payable are one there, so I was confused on which one to use.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 09:21 AM

1) You are quite correct.
    2) Salaries Expense is the one.
    xCloudx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    1) You are quite correct.
    2) Salaries Expense is the one.
    So when would you use Salaries Payable? Just wondering, so I know when it comes up?
    dcowboys107 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Salaries Payable is when an employee has rendered service but has not received pay. The accounting principle says that revenue is earned when service performed. Once service or work has been done, revenue has been earned and expense incurred. So you would debit salaries expense and credit salaries payable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you accumulate interest off salaries payable? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing my balance sheet and I am supposed to calculate the Interest Payable off my short term liabilities. I am having a brain fart and can't remember if Salaries Payable has interest or not.

Where would salaries expense of 70% selling and 30% administrative [ 1 Answers ]

On an adjusted trial balance where would salaries expense of 70% selling and 30% administrative go? On the credit side or on the debit side?

Names, salaries and tax details of directors and salaries at a non-profit? [ 1 Answers ]

There is a public website that stores publicly filed tax form, accesible by the public on Internet, completed by the CFO's of non-profits to qualify their 403b status and other non-profit needs. It lists all the officers of the associationm their roles and salary as of the last filing. Would you...

Salaries payable [ 1 Answers ]

Salaries payable was $800 and Salaries expense was 1,500 at the end of January 31,2008 and if $2500 of salaries was paid in January, what was the balance in Salaries Payable at December 31,2007 . Their fiscal year end is December 31. Please show me how to calculate this. Thank you

Beginning and Ending Salaries Payable Calculation [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings, I'm quite new to accounting and have been working my way through the basics of the statements and ratios,etc. Its quite interesting. In the meantime I was trying to work through a problem that I think is simple for those with an accounting formation though I would appreciate advice in...

View more questions Search