Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nette134 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Paycheck Tax Exempt
    I Heard That You Can Claim Tax Exemption For A Few Paychecks A Year. Is This True? Will The Money That Is With Held During The Year Be Deducted From My Annual Tax Return?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Money that is paid in for your taxs are used when you file your annual income taxes. Your W2 that the company gives you will show how much you earned, and all of the dedctions for that year.

From there you have to decide from other facters , how you file.
    Often you will pay in more money or have earned income credits that allow for you to get a refund check. Other times if enough is not held out, you will owe money.

Normally your payroll department is not going to want you to change your tax status from what is the proper status for your situation.

I am sure Atlanta Tax Expert will give some more professional view points, but you need to compare back to previous years as to what you need your withhondings to be.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 25, 2006, 01:21 PM
    There are no exempted paychecks. As Fr Chuck noted, the withholdings from your paycheck are estimates of what you will owe in taxes when you file at the beginning of the year following your tax year.

Most people over-withhold (giving both the U.S. and state governments interest-free use of their money for at least several months). The smart money management strategy is to PAY just under $1,000 when you file your return on April 15th. That way, you get to keep your money as long as possible without paying an under-withholding penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Income exempt from tax? (Chinese F1 student on OPT) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) for my 12-month OPT under a F1 student visa. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I received Form 1040-MISC from my employer for the work I did during my OPT. I would like to know whether my income is partially or totally exempt...

Cdn independent contractor works in you.S-tax exempt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Canadian and hold TN visa works in the U.S. MI since last Oct.2005 as an independent contractor. I live in windsor Ontario Canada and commute everyday across border to work at MI. My payor did not hold any tax from me, and he asked me to file a form 8233 because of the treaty...

View more questions Search