Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JENEVEVECLOETE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Anti-booze tablets
    My brother has a drinking problem, he uses anti-booze tablets, and was told that if he eats a few banana's, shortly after taking the tablet it neutrilizes the anti-booze tablet. Is this true?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 26, 2006, 01:41 AM
    Hi Jeneveve,
    I assume your brother is on Antibuse or Naltrezone, and that this would have something to do with the potassium in the bananas. I have searched, and can find absolutely no correlation or documented interaction between either bananas or potassium and either of these drugs. Personally, I'm very skeptical, but I really wouldn't know for sure.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Take care.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 26, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Why not stop taking the pills if he wants to drink? The side affects of some medicines with alcohol can be very bad. He doesn't want to go there.

Nov 26, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Hi Isabelle,
    In a sense, that is the odd point of these medications. They are often used as a last resort for people who are found unable to quit by other means. As far as I know, they work by blocking the metabolizing effect of certain enzymes in the liver. Though, the net effect is that as liitle as one drink can cause the person to become quite ill, a few drinks can be potentially lethal. Patients used to, and may still have to sign a waiver to receive the drug. If he is on one these drugs, it is because he is making a sincere and concerted effort to quit.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 27, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Thomas I agree but, how sincere is he when he is trying to find a way to get around the drug and drink. You are right, it is very dangerous.
    Before I would ever discuss a way to get around the drug and drink.. I would advise discontinuing the drug. I do believe there is a time between the last dose of medication and the time it is safe to ingest alcohol.
    A person has to be ready to stop any drug and this includes alcohol and tobacco... If they are trying to beat the drug which is helping them to stop the behavior then.. it is much safer to discontinue the drug.
    I have seen death result from doing both.

Nov 27, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Yes, I agree, regardless, he has to be ready to quit. And certainly trying find to a way to inhibit the drug is borderline behaviorwise. It's a tough call. As you said, he may die either way. I guess the only hope is that the drug would make him think twice. No matter how you look at it, at this point, it's a decision that really only he can make. He has to choose to live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone used Pallid Skin Lightening Tablets [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if anyone has used Pallid Skin Lightening Tablets Or know someone who did?. if not maybe I get it and if it helps I'll let you guys kow e-mail me if you had used it or know someone who did thanks! EMAIL REMOVED

BOTOX as anti-perspirant [ 2 Answers ]

Any body tried shots of Botox in underarms to stop perspiration? What was the result? I know stopping perspiration isn't good for your body. I am talking about people who perspire excessively. Botox is used for that. I want to know if any one has tried that? Thanks have a great day!

What is the best anti-keylogger program? [ 11 Answers ]

I find it despicable that keylogging programs have been invented to spy on your spouse, children, gilrfriend, boyfriend, employees, friends and enemies. Why haven't these programs been outlawed? Just because national spy agencies are using them doesn't mean that everyone can have a licence to...

Anti freeze leak [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 99' chrysler lhs leaking anti-freeze. Its not a slow leak, I am constantly adding more around once every other week. I can't figure it out where it is going. No puddles or spots, not in the oil, it's just disapearing. I have high miles (151k) and I am fearing the worst. Is it leaking into...

View more questions Search