Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gbraddock81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Can I receive unemployment while working as 1099
    Ok, here's the situation:

I was laid off a few months ago and am currently collecting unemployment benefits. I have been offered 1099 work but there is no promise of additional or consistent work. My question is, can I collect 1099 money and not be responsible for claiming it with the government? OR, if I do claim it with the government, will they stop my benefits?

I am hesitant to accept this 1099 job but I need the additional income but at the same time, can't afford to lose the unemployment benefits because it's not a promise of work. I literally may work for 1 week and may not hear from them again for 2 months. Please help...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 07:45 PM

You are required to claim any income that you make, that includes self employment income ( 1099 is considered self employment)

Depending on your state, you can earn a certain amount before it starts to reduce your benefit, but yes, if you earn enough, your benefit for that week will end. But yes for the week you earn money, you claim it, and if over a certain amount your benefit is reduced by that amount
    gbraddock81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Thanks for responding.

So they won't discontinue my benefit completely? Just for that work right?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 08:10 PM

At least here, if this is merely a temp job, it would not, Again, some states I am sure have different rules

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did not receive 1099-R yet? [ 1 Answers ]

I made a withdrawal on my 401k this year and did not receive a 1099-R. I have the payment record and it says "If applicable, an IRS form 1099-R will be sent to you early next year". Do I include this information this year or wait until next year? I had taxes taken out already.

Working on a 1099 and future unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unemployed for one year and collecting unemployment benefits. I have been offered a temporary position working under a 1099. My question is if I accept this position and it terminates will I be eligible for unemployment benefits either based on my previous employment or as a 1099...

My bank account closed, how will I receive my PA Unemployment benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

My benefits usually go through direct deposit into my checking account, but my bank closed my account due to inactivity. The direct deposit is supposed to be in my account tomorrow. The bank said the payment will get bounced back to PA Unemployment. Will they send me a paper check? Or will I...

Should she receive Unemployment [ 10 Answers ]

This story takes place in the state of PA. So my girlfriend was working at this temp agency for about 4-6 months on and off. One day her boss got into a fight with her and raised his hand at her and make her look like a fool in front of everyone talking about her medical history and all kinds of...

Did not receive 1099 NT [ 1 Answers ]

I have just become a resident alien for tax purposes, after 2 years on J1. My problem is that I don't have a 1099 INT from my bank. I called them and they told me my interest was only 3.99 and they only send them out if interest is over $10. I'm not sure how to fill out the 1040EZ since I don't...

View more questions Search