Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Firemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Pull Chain
    Ok, so I got a little huffy last night holding the baby and toys while trying to find the number online to call ahead for seating at Texas Roadhouse.

I pulled too hard on the fan pull chain and sure enough it broke off at the start of the chain, I was sad to see the connector piece attached to the chain... that would have been an easy fix, and I wouldn't be asking how to attack this problem.

I have an older model Hampton Bay ceiling fan - I removed 2 of the 3 small screws and I have lovingly STRIPPED that last screw!

Does anyone know the best way to get that screw out of there and then remove the base to fix the chain?

Is this chain pretty generic, where I could go to Home Depot and get a replacement for the Hampton Bay fan pull?

Any help on either situation is GREATLY appreciated! :o
    perry santrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Last night the electrical power went out in my neighborhood for about four hours. When the power came back on, the light came on full brightness, and the ceiling fan came on full speed "OBVIOUSLY" bypassing the remote control unit I installed in the fan. My question is: Did the remote control unit burn up do to a power surge, or does it have some kind of reset button on it or fuse inside of it? I just installed the ceiling fan/light kit and remote about five weeks ago. What do you suggest. The hand held remote according to the display is working fine. It just doesn't control the receiving unit in the fan. HELP!! Perry Santrell.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemom
    Ok, so I got a little huffy last night holding the baby and toys while trying to find the number online to call ahead for seating at Texas Roadhouse.

I pulled too hard on the fan pull chain and sure enough it broke off at the start of the chain, I was sad to see the connector piece attached to the chain...that would have been an easy fix, and I wouldn't be asking how to attack this problem.

I have an older model Hampton Bay ceiling fan - I removed 2 of the 3 small screws and I have lovingly STRIPPED that last screw!

Does anyone know the best way to get that screw outta there and then remove the base to fix the chain?

Is this chain pretty generic, where I could go to Home Depot and get a replacement for the Hampton Bay fan pull?

Any help on either situation is GREATLY appreciated! :o
    The third screw, I usually slip a small screwdriver in between the screw and the housing, and apply pressure as I turn. Usually works. If that doesn't work you will need to either drill through it or cut the head off.

The pullchains are pretty generic you should be able to find a replacement.

Remember the whole fan is under warranty so you can just take it back to Home Depot and get a new one.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by perry santrell
    Last night the electrical power went out in my neighborhood for about four hours. When the power came back on, the light came on full brightness, and the ceiling fan came on full speed "OBVIOUSLY" bypassing the remote control unit I installed in the fan. My question is: Did the remote control unit burn up do to a power surge, or does it have some kind of reset button on it or fuse inside of it? I just installed the ceiling fan/light kit and remote about five weeks ago. What do you suggest. The hand held remote according to the display is working fine. It just doesn't control the receiving unit in the fan. HELP!!! Perry Santrell.
    Sounds like the surge when the power came back on fried it. There is no reset. Just remove the receiver kit and install a new one.
    guym Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 01:52 PM
    My wife got impatient and yanked hard on the fan pull chain and it also broke inside of the electrical plastic box. I have had a heck of a time putting this back together and it still doesn't work.
    guym Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 01:52 PM

My wife got impatient and yanked hard on the fan pull chain and it also broke inside of the electrical plastic box. I have had a heck of a time putting this back together and it still doesn't work.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:12 AM

You need to replace the pullchain switch. What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Ceiling fan light pull chain replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Pull chain on the ceiling fan light broke off, so I pulled it down, and figured out what to buy, but at some point one of the two black wires going to it came loose, presumably out of a screw cap. Does it just go in the cap with the other black load wires (3 still together)? Do I understand...

Hampton Bay pull chain [ 3 Answers ]

I disconnected all 4 wires from the pull chain before writing down their configuration. I have 2- black wires, a red wire and a blue wire. My new pull switch is labeled L - 1 - 2- 3. Does anyone know the wiring configuration?:confused:

Installing a pull chain switch on a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the broken pull chain switch on a ceiling fan. There were two black wires coming from above the light socket. Either way I attached them to the two black wires coming from the pull switch worked. Does it matter which goes to which if they work either way?

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

View more questions Search