Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbgurn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Whirpool washer won't spin
    Whirlpool Model number TAWS800JQ2... won't spin. I just replaced the timer and now noticed that the lid switch is broken.
    Here's my question... when I help the lid switch down... still won't spin... did it a few more times and the tub rotated, then did a high spin, but then just stopped.
    Do you think it's just the lid switch?. or something else
    Thanks
    Jim G
    mscreations Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2010, 05:57 PM

It is probably the lid switch. The switch on these models is known to come apart. They just used some epoxy which over time wears out and allows the switch to come apart. It is an easy fix though.

Here are the steps you will need to do to replace the lid switch:
    1. Unplug the machine
    2. Remove the two console screws that are in the corners from the back of the machine.
    3. Flip the whole console up. You will need to pull it forward slightly while pulling up.
    4. Unplug the lid switch connector at the back middle of the machine.
    5. Remove the two brass colored clips that hold the case to the back panel. Stick a large flat screwdriver down at the front and catch the clip to disengage.
    6. Open the lid and grab the case. Tip the case forward and pull it straight off the machine.
    7. Remove the two Phillips screws holding the lid switch in place.
    8. Remove the 5/16" hex screw from underneath that has the green ground wire going to it.
    9. Pull the wires out of the two clips.
    10. Disengage the connector from the case.
    11. Reverse for reassembly.

Feb 18, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Thanks for you answer... however I just replaced the lid switch... nothing.
    Anything else that you can think of?

Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mscreations View Post
    It is probably the lid switch. The switch on these models is known to come apart. They just used some epoxy which over time wears out and allows the switch to come apart. It is an easy fix though.

Here are the steps you will need to do to replace the lid switch:
    1. Unplug the machine
    2. Remove the two console screws that are in the corners from the back of the machine.
    3. Flip the whole console up. You will need to pull it forward slightly while pulling up.
    4. Unplug the lid switch connector at the back middle of the machine.
    5. Remove the two brass colored clips that hold the case to the back panel. Stick a large flat screwdriver down at the front and catch the clip to disengage.
    6. Open the lid and grab the case. Tip the case forward and pull it straight off the machine.
    7. Remove the two Phillips screws holding the lid switch in place.
    8. Remove the 5/16" hex screw from underneath that has the green ground wire going to it.
    9. Pull the wires out of the two clips.
    10. Disengage the connector from the case.
    11. Reverse for reassembly.
    mscreations Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2010, 06:33 PM

Check to make sure that the wires going to the timer are not damaged in any way. I once had a wire that would intermittently make contact when I wiggled the wires around. I would try shaking the wires at the timer while trying to start the machine on spin and see if it comes in and out.

I would also check to make sure that the motor capacitor isn't obviously leaking or anything. That can also cause problems, but usually if it has a bad cap, the machine will just hum.

Feb 18, 2010, 06:58 PM

Thank you

Jim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirpool Washer won't spin [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Washer that won't spin.

Whirpool washer won't spin [ 0 Answers ]

Model lcr7244hq1 agitates but won't spin. Drain pump works (after removing cotter pin from impeller). Replaced the water level switch (probably unnecessarely). Now have noticed that the motor just becomes very hot through the spin cycle. From other posts on this subject it sound like the reversing...

Whirpool Washer will not spin [ 4 Answers ]

Help. My washer will drain and agitate, but will not spin. I took the machine a part and the coupler looks almost new. The metal ring with the white pads looks a little worn. Could this be the problem or is it something else? Please help.

View more questions Search