Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Filing status after separation
    Last year my friend had filed MFJ for 2008. He got married on Dec 22nd 2008. His wife came to US in Jan 2009 and they filed MFJ.He
    Attached a statement with his return declaring that one spouse is a non resident alien and the other spouse a US resident and that they choose to be US residents for the entire tax year.

In July 2009, his wife separated from him and went back to India. This Jan 2010 they filed for divorce.

What Filing status should he use for 2009? Is it MFS or Single? Is there any implications for declaring themselves as residents in the 2008 return (Pub 519)

Thanks in advance,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 12:48 AM

He can file as married filing jointly or married filing separately. He can not file as single.
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 08:04 AM

Can he file MFJ, even if they lived apart from July? Then how do he get her to sign the return? If he e- files, should she not sign Form 8879.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:18 AM

Yes, they can file joint return. On the joint return, both must sign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Can I file head of house hold if I don’t have a child or qualifying person?

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Filing Status [ 3 Answers ]

I am divorced and recently just moved back in with my ex-husband and two kids, can we both file head of household?

Filing for taxes after separation [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I separated in Novemeber of this year and filed for divorce in November as well. We both have children from other marriages and we now have two different homes in two different cities. Can we file Head of Household on our taxes this year instead of married or married but separate? ...

View more questions Search